Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

73 to 79 cabs are all the same???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 84CUCV, Feb 15, 2003.

1. 84CUCV

84CUCV 3/4 ton status Premium Member

I need a 4dr cab for a 79. I messed up when I looked at the truck. I should have taken off the snow better. I thought around the windshield and cowl area were rusted. Well, there is nothing left. water comes right in the cab. Anyone have one in good shape bye any chance? I have things I can trade to. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif Thanks Mike Mail me at chevym1009@cs.com

2. the professor

the professor 1/2 ton status

Not necessarly..the 1977-1980 carbs have a little more freedom of adjustment, and some more fittings for emission stuff..
    --
    But that could depend on the truck weight, and if its Fed or Calif.. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

3. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

UM, cab...not carb

4. ZonkRat

ZonkRat 1/2 ton status

Not positive,but,I think the cabs are the same.I know the front clip changed in 81{?}Cabs may be same till 87. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. YtseJam

YtseJam 1/2 ton status

It seems the professor didn't even bother to read your post before replying. /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

There are some differences in the cabs but nothing that would prevent you from using one. For your truck you will need to find a cab from 73-80. 81-87 has a different cowl, hood, fenders, radiator support, wheel wells, /forums/images/graemlins/crewcab.gif etc

6. 84CUCV

I am having no luck finding this cab. I have no idea what to do. I just don't have the $$$ to do it. Mike

7. GM Man

GM Man 1/2 ton status

8. fourwheelerjeff

fourwheelerjeff 1/2 ton status Staff Member Moderator

yes and no, cabs are the same from 73 to 87, doors changed in 77 and 81 just inwardly (door panels and window regulators), outside is still the same, a 2wd auto doesn't have the high hump for the 4x4 and is a one piece floor, the 4sp 2wd does have the high hump like a 4x4, the firewalls are different between a/c and non a/c models, the front sheetmetal changed in 81, but the cab is still the same

9. GMCLegacy

GMCLegacy 1/2 ton status

i have some issues getting my 80 hood to work correctly on my 84 cab. there are supose to be studs that hold the rear of the hood down, and sense the cowl is different on the 84, it doesnt work as GM planned. it latches, but if its going to be a show rig, id find the right year

10. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Like Zonk said '81 is change. You can swap 80/down & 81/up stuff but its more work.

11. 84CUCV

Thanks GMman I did not try that place. Hope I have some luck with them. Thanks guys Mike

12. 84CUCV

GM MAN, The rust free place just got back to me. 1600 bones WOW!! If anybody has some other place or has one I need a cab bad. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif Mike chevym1009@cs.com

13. 84CUCV

anyone???

14. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Too bad you're on the other side, I have a cab rust free that I was starting to cut up in pieces, I just put one slit on the rockers.
    I could give it to you free but it will cost you an arm and a leg to ship it to the other side.
    Oh and it's a A/C model and auto 2wd so low hump one piece cab.

15. 84CUCV

I am having no luck. The cabs are either really far away or a lot of $$$. I did find one close for 1600. That is more then the two chevys I just got. Mike

16. fourwheelerjeff

i agree with being so far away, i have 3 4x4 cabs and 1 2x4 cab, wanna make a road trip to texas /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

17. 84CUCV

Are they 4dr 4x4s. I am thinking now. Looks like I am going to Colorado in May. Could you send me pics? How much? Good shape? Mail me at chevym1009@cs.com Thanks Mike

18. fourwheelerjeff

sorry no 4 doors, but i was talking to someone the other day who had one, i will try to remember, and i will look around and see if i find one /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

i think we were talking about putting one on a burb frame and having a short short bed /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

19. 84CUCV

Cool thanks Sent you mail Mike