Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

73 to 87 rear glass

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Chaz316, Jul 25, 2001.

1. Chaz316

Chaz316 1/2 ton status

I have a 73 K5 and I want to swap the tailgate to an electric 80s model. Is this a straight forward swap?

73 K5, 350, auto w/factory air....How sweet it is.

2. TwoCrowsDesign

TwoCrowsDesign 1/2 ton status

I'm not too sure about the geometry, but the fit shouldn't be a problem. I'm sure someone else on the board can answer that question. So that leaves the wiring which really shouldn't be that hard. Email me privately when you start the work and I'll copy the wiring diagrams if you don't have them.

John

John

<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by TwoCrows on 07/25/01 08:30 AM.</FONT></P>

3. Chaz316

Chaz316 1/2 ton status

Ive found a couple of late 80's K5s here in Augusta. Im trying to snag the interior also but most of them have been gutted. The back glass on my original tailgate doesnt function like its supposed to. Plus its kinda rusty too boot. I had an 87 and I liked the convenience of the power back glass.

4. TwoCrowsDesign

TwoCrowsDesign 1/2 ton status

Yeah, the window channel on my 89 rotted away and the window was running up and down on those two little posts that hold the channel too the lift mechanism. Well I always had to help the window down because it wasn't attached any longer, one day I was helping it down and it just shattered into a million pieces. It was kind of funny as my wife and I just stood there looking at each other with a look on our faces that clearly said "well, that was gonna happen".

So I cannabalized the 88 to get a window back in the thing, but I think I found a guy with the parts, fingers crossed...

<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by TwoCrows on 07/25/01 08:40 AM.</FONT></P>

5. Chaz316

Chaz316 1/2 ton status

Yea Im trying to avoid that situation. I have not let the rear window down since I have got the truck. Hopefully if the glass in the newer tailgate is different maybe the old glass will work on the new gate.

6. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    Fyi, the glass is the same 73-91
    the rail that the glass attaches to maybe different !

7. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

the channel at the bottom of the glass, the rollors and the rollor channels are all available from gm still. for under 100.00. don't tell them it's for an older truck. Tell them it's for a 91 blazer.. There all the same. I have found that if it's an older truck, they don't want to look parts up.

your right. I don't understand the jeep thing!

8. bigk

bigk 1/2 ton status

Actually, as slow as my 87 power window is, I'm considering switching to an old style crank.

Karl
    Temporarily Unemployed Underwear Model
    87 3/4 ton

9. Chaz316

Chaz316 1/2 ton status

If the window is slow in your 87 I have found that a little wd-40 sould help things speed up a bit. It works on the power window motors in the doors.

10. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

The slow window is easy to fix. Open the tailgate and remove the cable that transfers power from the motor to the crank mechanism. I'll bet that the cable will barely spin. It should spin freely. Lube or replace the cable and your window will go up and down quite nicely! [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</a>
    It's a great day to be alive...

11. Chaz316

Chaz316 1/2 ton status

Yes but will a new power back window work on an older manual back windowed k5?

12. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Sure will, you just have to run all the wires and stuff to it. I've got an '88 power tailgate sitting in the garage just waiting to be swapped into my '75.

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</a>
    It's a great day to be alive...