Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

73-up 4x4 engine mount frame mounted stands ?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by R72K5, Mar 15, 2003.

1. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

ok after 72 what style frame rail mounted engine mount brackets/trees/stands did 4x4 trucks use ? did they use same ones as 2wd or were they different from 2wd like in the case of 72-older ?

and are the rubber mounts 73-up really different from sbc to bbc ? i dont see how or why would be any different when you can simply drop a bbc in place of a sbc, ive never heard of having to swap motor mounts

thanks for anything

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

If I understand you correctly, the 4wd trucks used "bolt in" (or are tehy riveted, can't recall) frame side brackets, while 2wd ones were attached to the engine crossmember, probably like GM cars.

As to the mounts themselves, not quite sure what the differences were, but when I bought poly engine mounts about a month ago, there were two different "thicknesses" to choose from, and they had to be matched up to the existing ones on the truck.

3. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

are 4x4 ones shaped like 2wd ones(73-up) ? do they go from top side of engine cradle and up to top side of frame rail like 2wd ones do ? same length/height ? cars have welded soid engine cradle welded to the boxed frame rails and only the motor mounts themselves unbolts from the car chassis, everythin else below that is welded, there are no fraem stands on cars just flat surface and sets of holes, sort of like the old first gen blazers in a way to an extent cept that the frame mounted engine mount brackets will come off but are way different than 2wd ones- shorter and smaller

i just need to know if 2wd frame stands are same as 4x4 ones, thats all

thanks

4. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

I don't know if I understand your question thoroughly , so forgive me if I go off in the wrong direction.
    The 1973 to 1991 SFA trucks use motor cradles , or bells , that bolt to the engine( via 3 bolts each )itself. These bells cover the actual motor mount ( a specific bolt w/a 11/16 head and a 5/8 nut ) go through it retaining the bell to the mount. These bells can be the same between 2WD and 4WD . NOTE : Some BBC applications used a bell that set the motor up slightly higher for a deep fuel pump clearance on the crossmember. The motor mount itself bolts to the frame brackets by three bolts/ nuts(9/16) that go from the top of the frame rail to the bottom of the frame rail and the actual cross member. These frame brackets are bolted in but the crossmember is rivited.
    The difference from BBC to SBC mounts are the durometer of the rubber used in each - the BBC ones are stiffer due to additional torque .They physically look the same but they are different.
    Note: Some late seventy's and most all eighty's motor bells also have a three bolt plate between them and the engine block for the struts that go to the torque converter cover. These plates might make a hieght adjustment.
    HTH, Tom

5. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

Randy,
    I don't know the answers to your specific questions, but I went out and snapped a few pics of the motor mounts/crossmember on the '77 K20 in my driveway. I hope this helps! I am parting out this truck, so if you are looking for the crossmember let me know. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    You can see the pics here . /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif