Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

73 window channels? Rhino Lining?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Blaze`, Jul 23, 2003.

1. Blaze`

Blaze` Registered Member

Need help with window channels on 73 K5. I purchased the replacement channels from LMC, but they don't fit the upper mount. The door handle is in the way. Has anyone experienced this problem? Any solution? I am sick of rattlin' windows! Also, I am looking for some help with Rhino lining in Central Texas. Suggestions? Thanks,

Donovan
    1973 K5 Blazer

2. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Not sure about the window channels, but there is a Rhino Lining dealer on South Congress(can't remember the address but it is south of Ben White Blvd and just north of Industrial Blvd on the east side of Congress, across from the flea market). Anyway, I've called the dude and they won't do a K5 for some reason. Granted I spoke with them over a year ago and mine is a half-top but the joker finally quoted me 800+ and that's with me doing all the prep work and bringing the K5 in sans seats, top, carpet etc...

3. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

He is obviously not interested in doing the job. I had mine done locally for less than half of what you were quoted. I did remove everything from the interior and do some prep work, but if you have someone do it commercially, have them do the prep work, or it won't be guaranteed.

4. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

If I'm not mistaken, I believe the '73-75 Blazer/Jimmy rear window channels are unqiue because of the framless doors and no one makes a a replacement for them. I think the bolt hole is higher on the pickup/'76-up blazers, or something like that. If I rememeber LMC has a note, I could be wrong, but I thought I saw it, a note saying something about "modification needed" or something like that for the '73-'75's. LMC loves to do that. They use tailgate pickup latches for thier blazer tailgate latches, put a different part number on 'em and a note saying "May need modification" so you think your getting something specific for your truck, and low and behold I'm grinding off these little tabs with no way to prevent the metal shavings from penetrating the nice new nylon bushing that makes the latch work so nice, and the tabs the prevent installation into a Blazer tailgate...anyhow..I digress...that's another story...

I have a '73 I'm in the middle of restoring.
    I just bought the rubber for the channels from GM for a '91, chiseled it out of my old '73 channels and glued in the new '91 rubber to the '73 channels. So since you already have new channels, just swap the rubber from the new ones to the old channels that have the right mounting locations.

BlazerMan

5. Blaze`

Blaze` Registered Member

Unfortunately, the originals are missing in action. I guess I should either throw the windows away, do a little junkyard diving, or get rid of doors all together. Thanks for the reply.

6. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

My LMC catalog doesn't have any comments on modifying them. But, they do list the channels as being all the same from 73 to 91. That could be a clue....

7. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

Looking at my '73-78 GM parts book, it lists different numbers for '73-75 blazer/jimmy versus-73-78 pickups.
    The numbers you want are

337719 LH Channel ASM, side frt door window glass rear guide
    337720 RH Channel ASM, side frt door window glass rear guide

A quick search on partsvoice turned up nothing, but you may be able to find them somewhere else.

BlazerMan