Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

73K5 DIGITAL DASH & stereo whatzits: advice?

Discussion in 'Audio' started by 73K5, Feb 19, 2000.

1. 73K5

73K5 Registered Member

DASH: Have you seen an aftermarket digital dash in a pre-1988 Chevy truck?
    I'm thinking of putting digital instruments in my 1973 K5 Blazer, but it's a big commitment ($$$) & I've never seen it done. (The company says they don't give info on customers-- you have to find an installation yourself to look at. Fat chance where I live.)
    The new instruments will be installed behind the aluminum billet dash inserts in my truck-- should be a good look together.
    Click on "Attachment," above left.
    More info: http://www.dakotadigital.com/products/73-87ctruck.htm

SUBWOOFER: The interior on my truck's from a '97 Tahoe, so I'm gonna throw the JL Stealthbox in for bass. It replaces the center console between front seats & seems like the most practical, consistent location to put bass in a topless truck (totally changes acoustics when hardtop comes off). Never heard one of these, either. You? http://www.jlaudio.com/stealthbox/gmtruck.html See "For GM Trucks With Bucket Seats."

HEAD UNIT: my simple requirements-- 1.5 din size, radio/cassette/CD. ONLY thing I can find is Jensen's CM715K. http://http://www.jensenaudio.com/cm715k.htm

LOOK FORWARD TO YOUR COMMENTS. My buddy that's doing the installation doesn't like my choice on any of these 3 (dash/ subwoofer/ head unit), & I've never seen/heard ANY of these products. How 'bout you? I just know what I want... at least on paper. Thanks!

2. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

1) Dakota digital has been doing digital gauges for quite awhile. I would think they were pretty good at it. I personally don't like digital...unless you're just lookin' for something different. Nearly all the big car and truck builders have gone back to nice"readable" analog gauges. I would spend the $$$ somewhere else.
    2)The JL box should be great! Out of the way, theft resistant, great sound.....sounds like the ticket to me. I bet the Tahoe interior is sweet also. Post some pics, please....I have a '74 that needs everything!!
    3) Jensen is cool also. I would have no problem with any of your choices....except those digital gauges. One more negative comment is the direct sunlight with the top off will make them hard to read.

Michael [​IMG] http://jmartin.net/parker/goose.html

3. Texan

Texan 1/2 ton status

Hey 73K5, do you have any interior pic's of your blazer? I'd like to see that '97 Tahoe interior going to good use. What did you do for doorpanels and backseat?..

<font color=orange>STEVE<font color=orange>[​IMG]
    89 Blazer
    67 Camaro 468
    68 CamaroSS 327
    98 GTP

4. 73K5

73K5 Registered Member

Steve & Michael-- thanks for your interest! Change the orange paint to black, & you've got my truck:
    [​IMG]
    The door panels have matching aluminum billet with electric window & doorlock controls. The rear bench is the Tahoe light gray cloth bench, but chopped to shorten it & fit in the K5.

Whaddya think? Good reincarnation for a dead Tahoe or what?

P.S. Click on the "Attachment" link (above left) if you couldn't see the image in this message.

5. Texan

Texan 1/2 ton status

Man that looks good! If that's not your truck, where did you get that pic? I'd love to see the rest of that thing...

Thanks For Another Itch To Scatch!

89 Blazer
    67 Camaro 468
    68 CamaroSS 327
    98 GTP

6. 73K5

73K5 Registered Member

Steve-- Thanks again! When my buddy's done with the installation, I'll do my best to find a digital camera & post more pix.

Hey, I hear that Flowmaster makes some good subwoofers that use 3-inch drivers, but I can't find 'em in my Crutchfield catalog ANYWHERE. LOL

7. Texan

Texan 1/2 ton status

Hey, I have one of those 3" Flowmaster sub's! Works and sounds as advertised! I think it would really rock if I updgraded my old 350 c.i.d. amp to a 383 though. The Summit and/or Jeg's catalogs should have the audio equipment your after[​IMG]...

Kick Your Buddy In The Butt And Get Some Pic's Out Here For Those Of Us In The Cheap Seats!

89 Blazer
    67 Camaro 468
    68 CamaroSS 327
    98 GTP