Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

74 Blazer Rear Window Channel Rollers

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TallCowGirl, Jan 2, 2006.

1. TallCowGirl

TallCowGirl Registered Member

Hi Guys...well, I got my '74 Blazer moved finally--this one isn't rusty like my '73 Blazer is. Here's what I need help with. The rear window isn't attached. I need a new crank handle, the two channel sections that attach to the bottom of the rear window, and the two plastic roller wheels that are riveted to the top ends of the "Y" part of the window regulator that go inside the channels. I can order the parts, but I don't know how replace the worn plastic roller wheels with new ones. How do you remove the rivets to take the old wheels off and how do you put new rivets in for the replacement plastic roller wheels? I'm going to be moving again (long story) and it would be nice not to have rain going through the rear of my truck.

Thanks,
    Diana

2. mechted

mechted 1 ton status Premium Member

IIRC i just drilled out the old rivets and put the new ones (LMC) in with a hammer... drilled/bent real easy being overpriced chinese %^&* steel
    oh, its best to do this will the whole regulator assembly outside the vehicle

3. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

Yep, drill 'em out.

4. ZooMad75

ZooMad75 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I did this on my 75. Got new rollers and rivets from the Chevy dealer. You must have a good parts guy to find them though. Have them look for a 91 suburban or K5 as they are the same parts even with the power or manual window.

If I still have the parts baggies in my tool box I'll find them and post them. LMC should have them too if your GM dealer can't seem to find them.

Drilling out is easy, just use a drill bit slightly smaller than the outside diameter of the rivit. This way when you drill out the center, you will not enlarge the hole on the regulator if you go too deep. Didn't take much to get mine out. Keep in mind you must take the whole regulator assembly out to do this)

Installing the new rollers/rivits is easy. Just slip the roller on the rivit (I added some grease as you can't get to it once it's on) and then insert the rivit into the hole on the end of the regulator. flip the regulator over so that the roller is facing down (still must hold it to keep it from falling out) and set it onto your bench. With the roller facing down on the bench, take a hammer and a punch and strike the center of the rivit. A couple of hits is all it takes and the rivit will mushroom/expand to hold onto the regulator.

Do this one roller at a time so you can remember which side the rollers sit on. You can easily mix it up and install them on the wrong side which won't line up with the window tracks when you try to put it back together.

5. TallCowGirl

TallCowGirl Registered Member

Thanks for the help

Hi Guys...thanks for the help. If you have any parts numbers, pleast post them :)

--Diana

6. ZooMad75

ZooMad75 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I looked in my tool box for the baggies the rollers/pins came in and can't find them. The parts guy I work with was able to find it fairly quickly on his system. The number in the system had been superceeded a couple of time but it listed a current number for it. He didn't have it, but another dealer did and he had them sent to me.

Have the parts guy pull an exploded drawing for the regulator and show him it's the rollers on the end that you need. The drawing should link him to the part number for the individual roller/pin assembly. Thats all my guy did.

Sorry I lost the part # though...