Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

'74 Body on an '81 Frame

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Blazer_Boy, Aug 14, 2002.

1. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

\'74 Body on an \'81 Frame

Well I found a new way to tell everyone to stick up there's. Have an '81 K5 with a great drive train and absolutely rotted out body. Everybody told me to junk it or why do I keep that POS. Well I parked it and kept my hands off it when I needed parts in hope that I might bring it back around.

I guess luck was on my side because I may get a pristine '74 body and top for my '81s still good frame. The guy redid the body and turned the '74 into a mud dragger. He wants a lighter setup and is going to dump his body and kept me in mind when he came up with this plan. Question is, what will be the issues when I drop this tub on the '81 frame. I am so stoked about this because full covertibles are soooooo cool and it'll be alot nicer than the new junk that those people who were bad mouthing are driving. /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif

2. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

Re: \'74 Body on an \'81 Frame

Frames are different. They changed in 78(?), when the rise in the rear floor went from directly behind the driver/passenger seats to a rise right under the rear seat. Of course, been wrong before.... /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif

3. Blazer_Boy

Yeah, thats the deal I was wondering about. Whether the mount is in a different spot forward or back, or just lower on the '81

4. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

I think you just have to change two of the body mounts on the frame from inside the frame rails to outside. Not too big a deal.

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

When I spliced the rear half of a 73 onto my 81 Jimmy I went through all this. The 3rd set of body mounts on the 81 frame are outboard like the 2nd set are. The 74 mounts are inboard and a hair farther back. I had to custom fab some new mounts for the frame side of things...and it was honestly the most work of the whole job. The new mounts bolt to the inside of the frame and have to be about 5 1/2" higher than the frame using the 74 style bushings.

I imagine the front set under the rad support are the same, but the only ones I'm not sure of are the ones in the second position. I have a 74 but it's not here to check...

Rene

6. tipoil

tipoil 1/2 ton status

I've got it the other way around!!!
    77 frame 89 body
    the front bushing hole are in the same spot (rad support)
    #2 bushing hole same thing (front floor)
    #3 bushing hole NOT THE SAME just like tRustyK5 said!!
    #4 and #5 bushing hole fit

on my truck the previous owner had to fab up some floor extention on the floor (to let the frame pass) were the back passenger but their feet.
    But since u are doing the other way around u shoudent have any problem there .u just to worrie about the #3 bushing(no problem,maybe u could use the old bracket from that frame??

hope it helped a bit!!

7. Blazer_Boy

Does it use a carriage style bolt or that caged nut BS for the mount in question. If it was a carriage bolt, I could leave the '81 mount where it is at. I'd take some box tubing and weld it upright on the mounts and lay another piece vertical to span the mounts and leave that just low enough to squeeze in a rubber pad under the floor. Then all I'd have to do is have a hole drilled in my crossover beam and drop the bolts right through it.

8. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

can you transfer the old frame mounts to the new frame?

9. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

Pm FRIZZLEFRY he just swapped on a 74 cab (pick up) to an I think 81'
    Here is some pic's FRIZZLEFRY