Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

74 body questions

Discussion in 'The Body Shop' started by 1979jimmy350, Dec 17, 2004.

1. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

i was looking at my 74 i just got it is pretty rusty. It has no rockers, i can see through the floor from the under side the fenders have no lip left and the bed side have large holes in them. I am not to worryed about the body becuase i have New GM bedsides, fenders and doors. When i was looking at where the rockers used to be there is a large thick peice of sheet metal that hangs dow and looks like it would meet the bottom of the rocker pannels if they were there. I have cut apart a 79 k-5 and it had nothing like this on it. Anybody have pics of a 74 in this area i would like some thing to compare it with

2. kgblazerfive

kgblazerfive keymaster Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I have a picture of my 73 and you can sort of see it its the flat piece that has a hole in it just in front of the front spring mount on the rear spring. As far as I know they were put in to compensate for the lack of a roof and that is why you 79 did not have them. They connect to the rockers anf the body and are just a box that make it hard to put rock sliders on. I don't think that you need them if you have a full cage other then that I would say keep them so the body stays together.

3. spoolnaround

spoolnaround 1/2 ton status

[​IMG]

You can see in the pic the box area is almost flush with the rocker seam and the frame.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You can see here I had to cut an access hole in it to put the lower plate on for my cage.