Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

74 Cab/80 Frame Swap

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by drofdar, Aug 17, 2004.

1. drofdar

drofdar 1/2 ton status

I want to go smog (CA) exempt by swapping a Chevy 74 1/2 ton cab w/title to my 80 3/4 ton frame. Both are 4W/DR. Will this cab fit on my 80 truck?

2. BAJA_BLAZER

BAJA_BLAZER 1/2 ton status Author

If you put your ’74 body on your ’80 frame you will still have a ’80 truck and not escape bi-annual smog inspections. The registration and smog inspections are based on the frame year and VIN, not the cab.

3. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

not sure on all the smog stuff, but the cab will fit, shouldn't be any problems either.

4. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Actually, '74 trucks did NOT have the VIN on the frame, so the DMV goes by the cab VIN. You will need it in TWO places, however, for the inspection, so the doorjamb and glove box or the like should match.

-- A

5. madmike

madmike 1/2 ton status

The '74 cab and '80 chassis will bolt right up with no problem, I did that swap several years ago when my '80 cab rotted away. Good luck!

6. BAJA_BLAZER

BAJA_BLAZER 1/2 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    Actually, '74 trucks did NOT have the VIN on the frame, so the DMV goes by the cab VIN. You will need it in TWO places, however, for the inspection, so the doorjamb and glove box or the like should match.

-- A

[/ QUOTE ]

...but the '80 frame will still have the VIN on it. Also, more than just a VIN on the frame is used to determine what year it is. What he is doing is called a "Cab Change" and there are specific procedures to follow. Call you local CHP VIN Officer and find out how he wants you to do it, if you want to keep it legal!

7. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    ..but the '80 frame will still have the VIN on it. Also, more than just a VIN on the frame is used to determine what year it is. What he is doing is called a "Cab Change" and there are specific procedures to follow. Call you local CHP VIN Officer and find out how he wants you to do it, if you want to keep it legal!

[/ QUOTE ]

Missed that part /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif I stand corrected.

-- A