Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

'74 Cherokee Chief 4X4 setup

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by XHitman396, May 23, 2002.

1. XHitman396

XHitman396 1/2 ton status

May 3, 2002
    \'74 Cherokee Chief 4X4 setup

a buddy of mine is close to buyin a 74 cherokee chief, now he's not gotta great 4x4 background, as in don't know what he's talkin about, he said the shifter only shifts down to 4 low, said its all time 4wd, then theres another shifter in the console for a super low range ratio. never even seen one so i cant argue wit em, that just doesnt sound right to me, someone gimme a foundation for these things, he right bought this thing?

2. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Jul 20, 2000
    Re: \'74 Cherokee Chief 4X4 setup

Yes he is right
    Sounds like it has Qudratrac. Basicly it is a full time 4x4 X-fer case that works like a limited slip differential. It puts the power to the axle that has traction. The qudratrac works good and they are pretty stout units.
    There is one shifter that enguages low range like anyother X fer case.
    The other shifter,(on some jeeps it is a vacume switch in the glove box) makes the X-fer case work like a true locker. It locks the front and rear axles together dividing the power equally between the front and rear axels for better traction. This should only be used off road in loose or slippery dirt. Never on the street or hard roads. Having the axles locked can cause some severe binding and damage if driven on the street.
    If I rember right the Qudra- Tracks use 30 wt oil for lube BUT there is an additive you must put in so the clutches will work right .
  3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

May 31, 2000
    Re: \'74 Cherokee Chief 4X4 setup

Your buddy may want to head over to the Colorado Full Size Jeep Association web site. There are some pretty nice rigs and a bunch of folks that really know their stuff about the big Jeeps. He can find them at www.cfsja.org /forums/images/icons/cool.gif