Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

74 Chevy steering column ignition cylinder removal question..

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Neil, Aug 4, 2001.

1. Neil

Neil 1/2 ton status

I have pulled the steering wheel, and got down to the plate that covers the ignition cylinder. I can't figure out how to get the cylinder out. There is a little button thingy in there that can move a little, but I can't find a way to release the cylinder out. I don't have a key to it because I lost it. That is why I'm putting in a new cylinder/keys.Any ideas on what to do or what to look for to release it? Non tilt steering,column start,74 model Chevy.

Neil H.. Alabama.. '78 K5 400ci 4x4 AT,AC,PW Cheyenne. '74 C10 3spd/floor 250ci 4x2

2. johnnysjimmy

johnnysjimmy Registered Member

You have to break off the little tang on the back side of the cylinder and then you a small screwdriver or the cylinder removal tool and depress the spring loaded lock device that is located in the slot just to the right of the back of the cylinder then it should just pop out

73' GMC Jimmy 8" lift and 35" tires.....14 boltff and big 10 bolt on the way

3. Mr.Chevy4x4

Mr.Chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

Let me see if I can word this where it makes sense. inside the column on the cast aluminum where the lock cylinder is right behind it, there is a small area that if the lock cylinder has never been replaced before, will have to be knocked out. Just use a small screwdriver and push through it(it is very thin). Then you will have access to the spring loaded clip that holds the cylinder in. Just depress it and the cylinder will come right out.

'85 K5 : Run it til it breaks, then fix it and go again!