Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

74 Chevy... what to do?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Aquaman, Apr 21, 2002.

1. Aquaman

Aquaman 1/2 ton status

My friend just got a 74 Chevy 4x4 from a relative, and he's putting a 350 in it from another relative.

I am just wondering on your thoughts as to what lift he should get and what size tires. This truck isn't going to be driven on the road, it is just going to be a play truck. I think he should lift it about 12", and stuff some real big tractor tires on there, with some bigger axels and weld the diffs together.

He said that if I put some money in it, it will be part mine... .

He only paid $200 for it, and all it needs is for him to put the 350 in it, and he probably needs to get the transmission rebuilt.

Since it is just going to be for off-roading, and it is basically a POS, I say we put some really low gears, lots of lift, and some really big tires (tractor tires) on it. For now, since he's gonna race it in the Platte County fair (big mud pit racing fair with a pit about 10 ft deep), and we need it to be ready for 4th of July (lots of trucks come out to his farm), we'll just cut out a lot of fender well, and put some 36" tires on it... I think we could get some cheap, and he may already have some tractor tires about that size... we dunno...

2. Aquaman

Aquaman 1/2 ton status

Doesn't anybody have any ideas on what we should do with it?

3. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

need more info on the type of tranny, axles, and gears. Fill out your bio too.

4. Zepplin

Zepplin 1/2 ton status

Well, if it is going to be a mud runner only, the sky's the limit.
    Anything that you dream up and fabricate up it can probably be done.

I would put maybe a 6" lift or something with alot of fender trimming. Plus, maybe a big block for those extra deep mud pits. Or dump some cash into the 350 and call it good.

It's pretty much up to you and your friend on how far you want to go with it.

5. Aquaman

Aquaman 1/2 ton status

well right now all I know is that we have to put the 350 in it, put in the new drive shafts, and probably get the transmission rebuilt. I will find out tonight what the specs are in more detail. I think that it would be cool to have rhino-lining inside and out... /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

What is the bio for?

6. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

sorry, meant profile. it tells us who you are, what kind of rig you have/ want to build, etc. etc.

7. or2play

or2play 1/2 ton status

forget rhinoliner, line-x is the way to go

8. Aquaman

Aquaman 1/2 ton status

Well either way... I meant that type of thing. I have so many thoughts goin threw my head now... whew... the possibilities!