Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

'74 factory shoulder belts?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by furdaddy, Feb 26, 2004.

1. furdaddy

furdaddy Registered Member

\'74 factory shoulder belts?

This is my very first post!

Last weekend I bought a '74 Blazer for camping and moderate 4 wheeling. But my wife and I feel very vulnerable strapped in with only lap belts. My dad tells me there are attachment points in the fiberglass top for shoulder belts. The holes, if that's what they are, appear to be covered with some kind of caps.

Is this what I'm seeing? If so, how do you take them off? Does this mean shoulder belts were an option in 1974? Can you still get them anywhere, or should I look for aftermarket ones?

2. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Re: \'74 factory shoulder belts?

My understanding is the Shoulder belt was optional and the shoulder extension was just thrown in the glovebox. Never have confirmed this but there is a bung in the fiberglass.

I would NEVER EVER want to use that mount point. Especially off road. I have seen video of those years roll and the shell will rip free. it would reall suck if your body was partly attached to that shell when it did so. It would probably pop you head off like pulling a grape from a steem.

I added a full cage to my 75 and put my belt mounting point for a shoulder belt on it.
    Here is a picture where you can get an idea how I mounted the belt. The belt is actually off a 79 K5 and the retractor is mounted on the cage as well.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Welcome to CK5!

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

My '75 has those holes covered up also. I can't recall ever seeing a 73-75 that had shoulder belts installed in that location. I think it's mostly because, as Grim said, the whole fiberglass top usually blows right off the truck in even a mild rollover. A shoulder belt attached to the top as it flies away could easily take your head with it. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Like you, I also feel vulnerable with just a lap belt and have plans to install a setup on mine just like Grim shows in his pics. I've got the belts and retractors, now I just need to break out the welder and fab up some mounting points. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

4. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

I pulled the "caps" off of my '73 top. I found only a rivet there. There wasn't a nut inside the glass for an "optional" shoulder belt. Maybe it's because mine's a '73?

5. furdaddy

Thanks for the info everybody. Being connected to a fly-away top, would definitely be a Bad Thing. Is it possible to install a family cage without taking the top off? Mine has never been removed, so I'm reluctant to break the seal.

Also, I'm more concerned about garden variety traffic accidents than wheeling mishaps because I don't really do anything too hairy with it (at least not yet). Of course, you could always roll as a result of an accident or emergency maneuver. Still, with no shoulder belt, even a very minor accident could have a major impact to your head.

I guess I'm saying, I would feel safer with a shoulder belt attached to the top now (with plans for cage anchored belts to come) than I would with skipping the shoulder belt in fear of the roof coming off in a roll-over. Am I crazy?

Not that I don't believe that the top could come off, but just by way of an interesting story I'll share this rollover experience. Back in '72 when I was one year old, I was in my car seat in the back of a '71 Jimmy. We were pulling a little u-haul trailer back to Phoenix from San Diego on the interstate. Something on the trailer broke and it and the Jimmy rolled. A new top was required, but it stayed on and nobody was hurt. I can't remember whether the roll bar was in place at the time or added after the rollover. My dad still has the truck.

TopOff, was there a trick to taking those caps off without breaking them?

6. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

You have the stock roll bar, right? Just mount your tab to that and install the newer shoulder belts. The top for my '73 has no provision to mount a shoulder belt to it, and I wouldn't even if it did.

The top seals are fairly durable, the originals are still intact on both my '73 & my '80.

7. furdaddy

Nope, no roll bar in my '74. It's on the list, but since I've only had the truck a few days, I don't have my priorities set yet beyond a tune-up, oil change and lube. Safety is obviously critical, so maybe a cage and proper belt anchors will come sooner rather than later.

8. Grim-Reaper

Take the top off!!
    Take the top off!!
    Take the top off!!
    Take the top off!!
    Take the top off!!
    Take the top off!!
    Take the top off!!
    Take the top off!!
    Take the top off!!
    Take the top off!!
    Take the top off!!
    Take the top off!!
    Take the top off!!
    Take the top off!!
    Take the top off!!
    Take the top off!!
    Ya got to take the top off! It's so kewl to drive a round in a big old topless truck!
    That removable top is the best thing about these years. I didn't even install mine for winter this year. I drove it to work today and it snowed last night. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

Then, soon, you'll hear someone say...

TAKE THE DOORS OFF!
    TAKE THE DOORS OFF!
    TAKE THE DOORS OFF!
    TAKE THE DOORS OFF!

[​IMG]

/forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

10. Grim-Reaper

Ohhh Robzilla! Fresh sheet metal!

Lets introduce them to Rob and Marv.

MUUUUHHHHHHhhhhhhahahaahhhahaaaaaa /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

They will never be the same!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

These are trails in your area.....And these guys live in your town. /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

11. furdaddy

Re: Ohhh Robzilla! Fresh sheet metal!

Yeah, I enjoyed a topless '71 Jimmy in high school, but I'm really old now (32) and have a wife and daughter. And we like climate controll, wind and noise protection, and dry gear. The top is just so practical. We were thinking of switching to slider windows for extra ventilation and canine cranium exposure purposes, but I've seen they have alot of detrators around here. So we're having second thoughts.

Awesome pics! Who ARE these nuts, err, I mean people? And where are they wheeling?

12. Grim-Reaper

Re: Ohhh Robzilla! Fresh sheet metal!

Ohhh Yeah your real old. I told that to my 11 year old kid and she started laughing.

TAKE THE TOP OFF! hahahaha

Honestly. My 75 is more quiet with the soft top on then the hard top. The fabric abosorbs sound and the fiberglass bounces it. Now granted I don't have carpet so that's not helping at all But the 79 I had did and a headliner.

Course I'm a real geriatric at 37 and lost my hearing long ago when I was a roadie back in the 80's for a local rock band.

I love the wind blowing what's left of my hair. I get so fried crusining around in the summer with the top off it's not even funny. The windows hardly get installed in the summer when I'm driving it. I'll leave the top in Safari mode most of the year.

My kids beg to ride in the 75 when the top is off. /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

[​IMG]

13. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Yeah, what Grim & Top Off said! See my Avitar< I bought the '73 for parts but had to drive it w/o the top at least once, that was three years ago. I got hooked and parked the '80.

14. furdaddy

What about replacement seats with integral shoulder belts, aftermarket or from another vehicle?

Anybody have any experience with or thoughts on that approach?

15. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

A lot of guys are going that way from what I've seen.

The best way to do it is find either a newer wrecked rig in a yard somewhere or find a custom shop that replaces factory seats and try to get a stock set they pulled.

While not as secure as mounting to a cage, this is a very viable option.

but like Grim said . . . Take the top off!

16. ZooMad75

ZooMad75 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

My 75 has just the lap belts too. You might think the top will stay put but there is a video floating around on the web with a 73-75 flopping in Moab. Truck started going sideways on a slope, the goober nailed it and it flopped to the left. One time over and the top literally exploded. it landed on its wheels and all that was left of the top was on the bed rails. How the goober and his kid survived unscathed is beyond me...

I've got a Set of 2002 Silverado seats with integral seatbelts to install to solve my belt problem. You just have to make sure to make reinforcements to the floor where you mount the seat at. Both you, the seat and the belts are attached to the same four points on the floor. done wrong and you become a projectile in a wreck. I just got to go get the seats from my dad....