Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

74 Instrument Panel Removal??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by wfotyme, Feb 16, 2004.

1. wfotyme

wfotyme Registered Member

Anybody with experience on removing Instrument Panel? What is the best way to remove the speedo cable and the oil pressure line..Do you remove the dashboard first and go in from the top? Or do you do it blind? I can feel the speedo cable and the oil line but I can't see them...Tell me there's a better way...

2. monsterjim

monsterjim 1/2 ton status

You can pull the dash out a little, but then you have to unhook light bulbs and other wires. The oil line should screw in, and the speedo screws in but has a metal guard around it I think, it always gets in the way. Probably easiest to pull it out a bit and cut yer hands up going in through the top. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

3. GMCLegacy

GMCLegacy 1/2 ton status

all the clusters ive pulled, ive had to get the speedo cable off before removing the cluster out of the dash. it is easiest from underneath. reach your arm from below the column and unclip it from the cluster, they are not threaded on. the oil pressure line will have enough slack to carefully pull the dash out an inch and unthread the flare fitting, i think it is 3/8".

good luck, they can be a pain to get out without breaking the brittle plastic.

4. wfotyme

wfotyme Registered Member

Thanks for the help...easier than I thought..No broken plastic and no broken knuckles..My new white faced guages with blue panel lights look killer...Thanks