Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

74 top on my 87?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by owen, Nov 21, 2003.

1. owen

owen 1/2 ton status

has anyone put the full top on the later models with any success?

2. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

Yeah, lots of people have...not to be rude, but if you do a search for "Full convertible conversion" or something along those lines, you should come up with some results/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif. Steve (site owner) is working on this himself right now I believe. And welcome! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Here's one good link with several links to other posts in it. If you scroll down about 3 or 4 posts, you will find links to 3 other threads detailing ways to do the conversion: LINK
    hope that helps!

3. owen

owen 1/2 ton status

would have tried the search first, but wanted to heat from real folks rather than the magazine guys. Im just a little nervous. My "real world back yard" projects usually dont end up like the guys on the TV shows! Im new to this site, but have been making love to every nut and bolt on my K5 SINCE 1989. This is gonna be great! -just noticed a search on this site.. is that where I should start?

4. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

Yeah, I meant a search on this site, not on the internet in general /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif..hopefully you noticed my addition at the bottom, i found a couple good links there for you.

5. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

And I hear ya on the backyard projects. 6 day engine swaps and 12 hour oil changes are my specialty! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

6. owen

owen 1/2 ton status

thanks for the help, 75. Everybody says chop the top and swap the windshield, but what about doors?

7. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

Well, the doors on my '75 were converted from half-topper doors. I did have a few pics of them a while back that showed where the cuts were made but don't have them anymore. If you can't find any I can take some this weekend. There's not a lot to it, you just cut them to fit. If you want to do it "right" you could always buy stock 73-75 doors, but you'll pay a hefty price.