Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

74 topper on a 78

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Corey 78K5, Mar 28, 2004.

1. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

We just got a 74 K5 at work with some front end damage and no engine and quite a bit of cancer. About the only thing I would want is the topper. Would it work on My 78? Would it be that big of a pain to convert My half top to a full top? About My biggest concern is the area where the topper would meet the windshield. I can get it for next to nothing so if it will work then I want it I have access to a mig welder and body tools so I can do the work Myself.

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

i think you will need a windshield frame to make it seal good. you will also have to cut the doors and the top off /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

3. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

You need to graph the front windshiel frame in place of your newer one and use or make full convert doors..but better to have org ones if you can.. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    And you might want to stiffen up the body because a full convertable has extra support under the rockerboxesand unders the seat area it ps to help with sagging of the body that is built into the non vert body if you remove the "half" top on your 78

4. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

Yes you can. My 73 is really an 87 tub.
    I did a SEARCH for you and come up with these previous post's.
    top coversion
    and found this one, scroll down it. I linked it to 3 other posts!!
    more posts
    with a /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif anything can be done!! /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif