Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

74k5

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ctesene, May 27, 2002.

1. ctesene

ctesene Newbie

I have a 74 k5 with front dana44 and rear 10 bolt, 4 inch blocks rear, 4 inch springs in front. When I purchased the vehicle the front driveshaft was in the car. I recently tried to install it and it is about 4 inchs too short. I have checked out a couple of other blazers and it looks like there is a CV joint or double universal i am guessing it is called.. Could anyone please shed some light on this issue for me and if possible lead me to the direction of getting the part I am missing.. Also my rear driveshaft is almost fully extended, is this common with lifting the vehicle 4 inches? Also I need a battery tie down.. any suggestions would be greatly apriechiated... thanks...

Chris

2. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

The shaft you have now doesnt have the CV joint on the t-case end? It is supposed to. And are ya sure it's a 10 bolt rear? the '74 had a 12 bolt from the factory. If it's a 10 bolt, then it's been swapped. To find the part, just check out a pic-n-pull/junk yard or soemthing...Any of those places should have a zillion of those things. As far as the rear shaft goes....With my rig parked on a flat surface, I have about 1 1/2" of extension. If your's is almost fully extended, then I would think it needs to be checked out, maybe lengthened.
    Battery hold down? LOL, My battery hold down consists of a well worn bungee cord and some bailing wire. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif /forums/images/icons/smile.gif /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif