Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

75 Blazer Doors

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by stickman75k5, Apr 16, 2002.

1. stickman75k5

stickman75k5 Registered Member

I am currently finishing up putting in new cab supports, rocker panels, floor skins, etc. on my 75 Blazer. I bought some new fenders and am happy with them but the driver door I bought has problem. I have shimmed it and all gaps look good around the door, but from the upper trim line up, the door does not angle in towards the center of the vehicle as much as the bedside. This creates a nearly 1 inch gap by the time you get to the top of the door. All other gaps are near perfect, so I can't adjust it out. My only option is to attempt to bend the door but that seems extreme to me. Has anyone ran into this problem before?? Also, does anyone have a good feel for the differences in the Blazer and truck doors, like the 73-76 are the same with the exception of cutting the the window posts for the 73-75. I have considered buying some 90 or 90 doors from a k5 or suburban but am not sure if they are the same. Thanks for any help you can offer!

2. Zepplin

Zepplin 1/2 ton status

I think any door from 73-91 will work. But, there is some support that needs to be welded in underneath the wing window.

When I took my doors off I had problems lining them back too. Maybe your hinge pins are shot and/or your hinges are bent. Maybe a little muscle to line them up is all you need. I don't think bending them up just a tad would hurt.

Now, I have a question for you. My 74 is real rusty and I was wondering where you got your rockers and floor skins from. Can I get floor pieces for the front passengers footwells? My floor is there but, it is paper thin and wavy.

3. chaka454

chaka454 1/2 ton status

Nice truck zepplin, can I ask you something, how do you keep your windows from getting all scratch up? hey sorry stickman I dont mean to take over your post.

4. Zepplin

Zepplin 1/2 ton status

I asssume you are talking about my soft top windows. Well, they are already pretty scratched up. I had a little problem with it blowing off one day and it dragged on the ground. I think they just scratch if you look at them wrong! They say to put a cloth towel or something over it when you roll up the top or take it off.

More or less you have to handle it like a dozen eggs.

5. Mudstud

Mudstud 1/2 ton status

If it all looks good around the main body of the door it sounds to me like you got a defective door. Didja try www.absautosupply.com?

6. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Did you set the gap on the door to the fender? Fender can be shimmed a bunch of ways. Adjust the door the the bed and the windsheild A piller. You can bend the top of the door where the vent wing some to get the a-piller alignment right by placing a block of wood in the door frame to lever against. Then adjust the fender to the door. If you try to put the fender on then adjust the door to the fender your chasing your tail.

7. BigBad75K5

BigBad75K5 1/2 ton status

You may also want to measure from the front part of the door opening to the rear door opening on the cab. When the floor supports go on the 73-75's the cab can sag and warp.
    This happened to mine, I had to square the cab back up and weld some support braces to the front and rear of the door opening to keek it square while I reinforced the floor.

8. B75k5

B75k5 Registered Member

Re: 75 Blazer

I also have a 75 and need to replace rocker (got them from GM), unable to find floor panels from GM. All aftermarket I looked at were really thin, where did you get yours and how did they work out. Thanks in Advance for any info. Harry in Escondido, Ca.

9. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

Re: 75 Blazer

Just totally rebuilt the cab floor on my '76 with parts from LMC. Ordered the Cab floor halves, inner rockers, and cab mounts from them. Had to do alot of piece work with just plain sheetmetal to remove all the rust, but most of the stuff I got from LMC.

10. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

Your body mounts can play havoc on aligning doors and fenders. Make sure these are in good shape thorugh-out the vehicle. A bad body mount across from the opposite corner will have the same affect as a bad body mount on the same side that you are trying to align.

Good luck.