Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

75 jimmy ? seat belts

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 4x4k20, May 25, 2002.

1. 4x4k20

4x4k20 1/2 ton status

i have a 75 it has no seat belts would like to see pic of one that has them to get a ideal of what i need

2. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

They came with lap belts. The outside had a retractor and the inside was a plastic cased belt simular to what the newer trucks have. Cheapest thing to do is get a set of manualy adjusting lap belts from J.C Whitney. If you have a full roll cage you could put a tab off the b pillar bar to secure a shoulder belt. That's what I did on mine. Using a stock belt out of a 80's K5 with the door pin removed.

3. 4x4k20

4x4k20 1/2 ton status

i have a set out of a 78 k5 i tryed to fit them in today but they kept locking down and would not come out enough to hook up you know this week in ga is click it or ticket and its a real nice weekend to be out and riding i have a seat belt on the drivers side out of a furd pickup but the kids and wife want to go too i would like to see a pic of yours if you have one i am looking into putting in extra rollbars if i dont sell it first i put it up for sale on here but not really ready to sell it i am still going ahead and start fixing it up like i had planned to do barring finances i have had some problems with my teenage sons trying to keep them out of trouble

4. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

THe problem you were having with the locking up is the door pin BS. It never works correctly. What it is supose to do is let you put a little slack in the belt for comfort. problem is they jam and if you lean forward you have to keep jerking on them or open the door to get them to pull back in.
    If you take a 1/8 inch drill there is a rivit you can drill out so you can get the plastic housing off. Once you got that off you should be able to figure out how to remove that plastic plunger and there is a spring on the mechanisim that you remove to disable that deal. afer that it will work like you have the door open. lean forward and when you lean back it will come back in. This does not effect the part that is going to keep you from bouncing off the dash. I personaly think it makes it safer. I was all the mime noticing a bunch of slack in the belt. everybody was so tired of jerking the belt that they would just let the belt hang with the slack. Keeping it snug is important. the less slack the less distance you have to travel befor it locks.
    The bouncing off the dash part is controled by two things. There is a centrifical clutch in the reel if it starts coming out real fast that will grab. The other part is there is a pendulum that any suden movement will engage a ratchet and lock the belt. If the belt is not in a reasonably upright posisiton it will not reel out.
    I'll try to get you some pictures today. I have to clean out the truck from yesterdays mud adventure LOL.
    I really wish I had the cash for that truck. It's sharp! I have told a few people about it. Kid that works for the local Kroger saw my truck and was asking about it. Told him about yours.

5. 4x4k20

4x4k20 1/2 ton status

thats what it was doing i will try to take them apart today to see if i can figure them out to where they will work thanks