Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

75 K5 All Wheel Drive?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by virtualdemo, Nov 22, 2005.

1. virtualdemo

virtualdemo Registered Member

Hi all,

I just got a 75 K5 Blazer. It has a non-original 400sbc. Question is: Do I have an NP203? And if I do what most likely is the transmission a 350 or 400? Currently the blazer wont move under its own power. I put it in all gears and nothing happens. Tried the usual stuff but I think the trans or converter is shot. Also, I want to keep it all wheel drive if in fact this is what it is. Found the front driveshaft in the back... :confused:

On a good note: I FINALLY HAVE A K5!!! WoooooHooooooooo....

Laters,

Demo :bow:

2. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

If you have a 203 and the front driveshaft is removed, you need to put in HiLoc or LoLoc to get it to move.

EDIT: More info
    You probably have a TH350 with NP203. Does it have locking hubs on the front?

3. virtualdemo

No locking hubs. Thats what led me to believe it was an All wheel drive. Also forgot to mention, I can only get from Neutral to low? The transfer case shifter only goes to 2 positions. I may just have to drop down the whole thing...

Lates,

4. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

i'll second the 350/203, however, hubs are easy enough to install. my '77 K20 has hubs on the front, and has never had the 203 removed since it came from the factory.

5. virtualdemo

Thanks Guys!

I have done some searching around and I am gonna rebuild the tranny and while I am at it the transfer case too.

Never worked on a 4x4 before so this is gonna be so cool learning something totally foreign to me...

Laters,

6. driney

driney 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Pull the shifter boot off and pump some light oil down into the shifter mechanism while working the lever. I've had trouble with the shifter getting full of crud and not letting it go into lock.

7. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Its full time four wheel drive !! All wheel drive implies leather seats , cupholders , and satellite radio , never been off the highway, or the mall truck :wink1:

8. tin man

tin man 1/2 ton status

My 74 wouldn't shift either. I had to knock the transfer case into neutral and then jerk it into Hi Lock. After working it a bit, it shifted easier. I'll have to try oiling it like was mentioned above. My understanding is that our trucks are "Full Time 4wd". All wheel drives are for yuppies.:laugh:

9. primerk5

primerk5 1/2 ton status

The t-case is probably good The 4wd shifter comes off quite easaly if you remove the center floor panel take apart and clean and re-grease the shifter(just take not of how it came apart it can be a pain to reassemble). The only thing that will probably go wrong with the case on and unabused 203 is the chain inside and it takes some hard thrashing to get it to stretch(like driving in frontwheel drive for 3 months cause you blew out the rear driveshaft). Rebuild tranny, regrease t-case shifter.(in my oppinion.) You can buy a 2wd conversion from mile marker for I think 150.00(not sure though) than you get 4wd hi, 2wd hi, nuetral, 2wd lo, (makes for awsome burnouts) 4wd, lo.

click for 4x2 conversion.
    You can order this from your local autozone

10. blackblazer717

blackblazer717 1/2 ton status

i say dump the 203 for a 205

LUKE

11. virtualdemo

I know its been some time but I tried messing with the Transfer case. I got it to go in reverse at first....:D After some more messing around I got it to actually move forward. I had to practically floor it to move but it worked. Now I am totally lost as to what it might be, the tranny or the transfer case. Im still thinking the torque converter.... I dunno.. This is just a lil update. Thanks for all the help guys :bow: :bow: :bow:

12. 2High4U

2High4U 1/2 ton status

First off It doesnt sound like the tranfer case. Did you check to see if the tranny has enough fluid in it? Im thinking that that might be your problem.

13. virtualdemo

Tranny is shot. I do have a regular 2 wheel turbo 350 sitting around. Can I use this one and just change over the adapter? It would be alot easier as I could then take my time. They also have one for sale at the boneyard for $175 that was mated to a 205. Is the 205 and 203 the same as far as connecting to the tranny? Woohooooo Im learning something....lol

14. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

the 2wd would work but you will need to change the output shaft from the 4x4.
    On the side of the stock tranny see if it has a big "K" on it. The "K" th350 are a beefed up housing. Its much stronger then the 2wd housing. The bell housing cover will be cast aluminum as well with braces to the motor mounts.

They did this because the 203 was so heavy that the bell housing would some times crack.

Its really not hard to rebuild a TH350. Parts wise its about $125 for rebuilt converter, Seals, clutches and steels. If you have a press its actually pretty easy.

Your symptoms could be explained by either a clutch pack bad , low fluid or the splines stripped off the stator shaft.

15. virtualdemo

Oh man I hope not...

Thanks for the info about the housing. I wont be using the 2wd one then. I'll just save up some money and get mine rebuilt. I know some stuff about the engine but am totally clueless when it comes to transmissions. Actually I am totally lost with the whole 4x4 thing. But I love learning this stuff.

On a good note, the engine is running strong now that I stopped the valve train clatter. I went cheap and used tape to stop all the fireworks under the hood too. Next on the list for the engine will be an actual tune up...

This site rocks, thanks for all the help guys. Teach me more. :bow:

16. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Stator is easy. As soon as you pull the converter off you will be able to tell. Part is not expensive. Just needs to be pressed into the pump housing. I would replace the converter because it will have all the metal in it.