Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

'75 K5 Front D44 to Grand Cherokee swap questions...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BadassZJ, Mar 10, 2002.

1. BadassZJ

BadassZJ Newbie

\'75 K5 Front D44 to Grand Cherokee swap questions...

Ok before you guys kill me or anything....I drive a Grand, and yes I know it's a "soccer mom, mini van, mall cruiser" 4x4...but its what I got...soo...

My friend has a '75 K5...and he's swaping in full ton axles. He said I can have his front 44...is it worth cutting, getting new shafts, having the pumpkin moved to the drivers side, etc? How much stronger is it then a reverse cut, high pinion D30 w/ 297 joints and 4.10's (assuming they were both 4.10's).

Is it worth all the money to have it fit in my ZJ, or should I just say to hell with it?

Thanks

Kelly
    '94 ZJ, Rubicon Express 6.5" lift, 33" Xterrains on AR 767's, NP 231, Trailready front bumper, custom rock rails...Not too bad for a minivan /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

2. EDdaTREE

EDdaTREE 1/2 ton status

Re: \'75 K5 Front D44 to Grand Cherokee swap questions...

What's WRONG with a Grand?! I've got a 95' Grand with Laredo package. It ain't the wheeler my 76' K5 is...but I can't run back/forth to work in the 76, either. My Grand has done me proud on many a mud trail-run, too. You oughta pick up the April '02 issue of 4WD and Sport Utility magazine first, TONS of ideas and ads in it for our ZJ's.

3. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

moving the pumpkin isn't gonna be cheap. if you really want to upgrade get a ford front, the pumpkin is already on that side.

4. BadassZJ

BadassZJ Newbie

Whats wrong with a Grand? Nothing...except the open full time case, D35c, and the D30 /forums/images/icons/wink.gif...oh yeah...and the unibody.

I love my grand, don't get me wrong. Stock w/ the front swaybar disco'd, a Grand will ramp over 650 RTI on a 23deg ramp.

I guess a Ford D44 would be cheaper/easier. Anyone have any laying around?

5. EDdaTREE

EDdaTREE 1/2 ton status

You ain't got the Selec-Trac case?! 2wd, Full-time 4wd on-road, 4-HI Off-Road, and 4LO-Off-Road!? Best Damned thing they ever came out with! Mine's been through stuff you wouldn't believe with 225/75/15 Wranglers on it. (Equal to 30/9.50/15's) I think a 44 from a F%#d might be decent.