Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

'75 K5...Need help

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by playin_dirty, Sep 29, 2004.

1. playin_dirty

playin_dirty Registered Member

\'75 K5...Need help

For all of you who have helped me in this process, I would like to say thank you again. I recently bought my '75 K5 and Im ready to go play in it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif The only problem is that its only about 90% done. I need to gear it still (among other things). /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gifAZ guys...if anyone is good at doing gearing and would like to help me out with this for some $$$ or whatever, it would be very appreciated /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif It has a 3/4 ton Dana 44 up front with 4.88 gearing and LockRight locker, and the rear axle is a 14bolt FF, with no gears currently. The truck currently has 35s on it, so I was wondering if I should upgrade the rear end to 4.88 to match the front, or if I should use the stock 4.10 gearing (parts in a box) in the rear and swap the 4.88 front gears to 4.10 /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif. The only reason Im thinking of changing the front to 4.10 is because I want to be able to drive my truck to wherever Im going without blasting 3200RPMs. Any help or advise that you guys can give me would be awesome. Im super anxious to get it set up and head out on the trail. Still have some misc other work to do to it, but shouldnt take much. BTW...do any of you know much about the Q-jet carbs? It starts fine, but after a few min of idle, it floods out. Maybe a stuck float. Anyways, thanks guys. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

2. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Re: \'75 K5...Need help

I'd stick with the 4.88's. 4.10's are still a bit under geared for 35's. Also, you should be able to run up to a 39.5 w/out having to re-gear. I know..you're probably thinking that you ever run anything bigger than a 35. Trsut me, you hang around here and you will /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif I run a 350/TH350/203 in my '74 and I will be stepping up to 5.13's so I can run a 37-44" tire w/out having to re-gear. I'll never run smaller than a 37" tire again on it, so 5.13's are the best for me.

Oh yeah, yer carb. If it's flooding out after it warms up, tap the front of the carb body, that may unstick the float. If it still does it, you may need to throw a rebuild kit in it (easy thing to do).

3. blazer74

blazer74 Member Premium Member

I run 4.10 and 35 tires. Puts me at just over 2600 rpm at 65 mph. 4.56 will put you just over 2900 rpm. Depends on what you do with it. If you drive a lot of hwy to and from IMO 4.56 tops. But if not go higher. If you plan on bigger tires in the future you will need higher gears. I ran 38 tires and 4.10 for a while and it was to doggy from a stop.
    Loud exhaust and a screaming engine gets old real quick on the hwy.

4. playin_dirty

Thanks for the responses guys. I was hoping for a little more help and ideas in here. Where are the AZ guys at? No one feels like helping out a "soon to be" K5er?

5. socalblazer

socalblazer 1/2 ton status

I'd put the 88's in if I were you. The front is already there and since the rear is already apart you might as well just do 1 side so you can get on the road. I have 4.10's w/33's but I want to go up to 36-37's in the future so I'll need lower gears also. It might take a little longer to get to where you're going but when you're there you'll appreciate the lower gears. Plus better throttle response and better hill climbing ability. For the carb, I'd just rebuild it. They're really easy to do and it won't take you long once all the parts are in place. Good luck and get that thing on the road. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. playin_dirty

Thx SoCalBlazer. Now I just need to decide if I can do the gears on my own (with the help of some friends) or take it in to get done. Not sure how hard it is to do. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif