Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

75 smog laws

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 98sub454, Jan 26, 2003.

1. 98sub454

98sub454 Registered Member

Im about to buy a 75 K5 and i read that only the early models did not come with cats. the current owner said that it doesnt have cats and never did. Right now the registration on the truck has currently expired and i am afraid that if i buy it i will have to put cats on it. Is there a way to tell if the truck originally had cats? also do i need them for smog? he is telling me that i dont and i am not sure about this model year so i figured id try and ask it here.

thanks in advance

/forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

2. Tweetysuarus

Tweetysuarus 1/2 ton status

Fill in your profile so we know where you are as to smog relates! And My 76 was not equipped with cats or air pump!
    Bill

3. rcpilot

rcpilot 1/2 ton status

My '76 also had no cats or pump /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. 98sub454

sorry, im in socal. i figured you guys would assume ca since i am talking about smog laws. since we have smog laws up the ass

5. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> If it was built for the CA market than it probably had cats, but if it was built for any of the other 49 states (called "federal" smog) than it didn't have them. There is a way to tell from the engine code in the VIN IIRC. I know this because I have a 78 that was built for the Washington market. No cats and it smogs fine since it is a federal vehicle. </font color>

6. Mike87

Mike87 Registered Member

My '75 never had cats or a pump. I checked the laws here in CA and found that if the GVWR was over 6000 lbs. you do not need cats or a pump, just a PCV valve and the thermostatic air cleaner. I had my truck smogged in December and it passed, no problem. Hopefully that was my last smogging!! By the time two years rolls around again, it should be exempt.

Good Luck,
    Mike (#87)

7. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

6,001lbs and more was cat equipped, until 79 whne that changed to lower than 6,001lbs, look on your door sticker, and see what the gvw is of the truck, the Gov'y caught up to what GM was doing with increasing GVw of the 1/2 tons and rules changed in 79 so that 1/2 tons were cat'd from then on

8. 98sub454

ok thanks. im not too worried about it because next year it will be exempt, but i just wanted to learn more about what i was gettin into for this year.

9. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

75 didn't have cats, but some had the air pump which was stupid since the AIR pump doesn't do anything without a CAT. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

Ahhh, the heavy half. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

11. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Don't think that's entirely true.

The GM car AIR applications (at least 81-87 in mid size RWD apps) divert AIR to the cat under driving conditions, but under cold engine conditions pump AIR into the exhaust manifolds, so it can further combust right there. (which is one of the reasons AIR is injected right at the exhaust port. Actually into the exhaust port, in some other GM engines)

Most of the early (prior to '84 at least) trucks equipped with AIR and cat's didn't divert AIR to the cat at all.

I don't doubt that AIR injection helps the converter do its job, but the cat isn't the sole reason AIR is there. (AIR has been around since the 60's)

12. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Well I see what you are saying, but I talked to a lot of smog guys, and what their experience says is that injecting air in the exhaust isn't doing any difference except when there is a CAT that is hot enoguh to ignite the residue with the air added.
    I am in no way an expert but I know my Physics and I talk to a lot of people, and so far that is what I learned.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    I didn't know that AIR started in the 60's though, do you know in what applications?

13. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member