Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

75 Tailgate on a 86

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by atodd, Oct 27, 2003.

1. atodd

atodd Registered Member

I have a 86 K5 and I am looking at a used tailgate from a 75 K5. Can anyone tell me if they are exactly the same or if there are any differences. I am assuming there are very little since this is a message board for 73-91. But I just thought I'd ask to see if anyone already knows.

Thanks,

Aaron

2. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

I am not sure about the K5 but there are minor differences in the pickups. As long as you get the hardware from the donor everything has the same mounting holes on the pickups (and the pickup tailgates can be bolted up to K5's).

3. atlantak-5er

atlantak-5er 1/2 ton status

So you can bolt a taigate from any pickup from 73-87 to the back of any k5 (73-91) by just getting the hardware from the donor truck?

4. MA87K5

MA87K5 1/2 ton status

According to LMC Truck the tailgate for K5 from 73-91 are the same. As long as the 75 and 86 have or had the removable hardtop.

5. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

Yes you can but then you need to come up with a different method of putting a back window in your hard top if you use it. I have sold pickup tailgates to a couple of other CK5 members that have done this. I think nofeartruckin00 was one of them. Might try PM'ing him if you want to see what he did for the back window.

6. atlantak-5er

atlantak-5er 1/2 ton status

I've got a STC soft top with a soft rear window. The tailgate would be perfect: lighter and thiner.

7. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

The only issue you might have is if you wheel a lot the threaded inserts might need to be cleaned up. If you have a soft top this is a great mod. It is a TRUE bolt on, just get ALL the parts from the pick-up. I did mine a couple years ago and no way I will go back.

8. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

K-5 gates are the same ('73-91) my '73 had an earily '80s gate on it until I put the P/U gate on.