Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

75 top on 84 cut body??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by txbartman, Jan 8, 2002.

1. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

Okay, I have a line on a 75 trail rig cheap. However, due to rust, the current owner replaced the 75 body with one from an 84. What it really looks like they did is put the cab forward from the 84 with the rear from the 75 and used the 84 "half" top. He still has the full 75 top with it too, though.

I want a full convertible. Is it possible to cut the 84 cab roof off and mount the 75 top to it still giving me the full convertible like the original 75 but with a hard top option on the 84 cab? Or is there going to be structural issues?

Need info on this before I buy the sucker.

Brian
    Check out <a target="_blank" href=http://tx85gmcguy.alloffroad.com>My Jimmy</a> with all her projects!

2. 73 K5 Blazer

73 K5 Blazer 1/2 ton status

Your best bet is to replace the windsheld frame with one form a 73 through 75. This will give you the correct mounting for the hardtop. You will also need to cut the doors to fit.

3. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

You sure it's a 84 Tub and not a 76 or 77? 73-77 did not have a rear passenger foot well. The bed came right up to the back of the front seats.
    Yes it can be done but you would need the 73-75 windsheild header, about $400 in seals, adn a full roll cage tied into the windsheild header.

Women dig dents and flat paint!
    coloradok5.com/gallery/Grim
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    Grim-Reaper

4. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

I'm not sure. I am trying to get the details. Here it is on eBay &gt;&gt; My Jimmy with all her projects!

5. wrath

wrath 1/2 ton status

Reads like its a 75 body on a 84 frame with the 84 front clip..all drivetrain from 84..wait a minute ..its all one color ..possibly its 75 body with 84 grille..thatd be my guess

70K5 350ci.350/205 "PROJECT 40"BOGGERS" It runs and its clean !!
    <a target="_blank" href=http://communities.msn.com/OurMudToys/the70k5blazer.msnw>http://communities.msn.com/OurMudToys/the70k5blazer.msnw</a>

6. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Something isn't right here. I would be scared of that.
    That is NOT a 75 body. It may be a 76 YEAR MODEL body built in late 75 so it would show a build date of 75 but should be a 76 model year.
    Looking at the VIN the 6th digit is model year I think. It shows 75. My thought is it has a 75 VIN on a 84 truck and the 84 truck is probably stolen without really looking at this truck to see what parts are on it. While mounting a 75 body on a newer frame is not that hard mounting a 84 body on a 75 frame would be VERY hard because the frame is different.
    I think I would stay away from this. It just doesn't add up. What ever that tub is in the picture is NOT a 75.
    If you cant go look at it and get the vin off the frame and run it to see what it comes up as I sure wouldn't buy this thinking your going to get a tag for it.

Women dig dents and flat paint!
    coloradok5.com/gallery/Grim
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    Grim-Reaper

7. CooknwithGas

CooknwithGas 1/2 ton status

I would AVOID this. I have a 1975 full convertable from the midwest (Nebraska) and have replaced all the sheet metal with 1975 metal. There are lots of things to change out underneath too due to rust.

Also I would be afraid of title problems with that Ebay truck. Cheap now, but you will pay more in the long run. Unless you are a glutton for punishment like I am :).

Good luck!

"It's better than a sharp stick in the eye."