Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

75 vs 87

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by moe., Dec 17, 2000.

1. moe.

moe. Registered Member

Heres the deal. I've got a 75 Blazer, auto with full time 4WD. Runs great, body is shot, so is underneath. 4WD works great, but the truck has alot of problems. Mechanically its awesome, but its got electrical problems and rust thats just too bad to fix really.
    I'm looking at getting an 87, and was wondering if the parts on the 87 are alot weaker. I'm kinda scared of getting it and having the 700 (or anything else) break. Its got a plow on it (I dont want it, wont use it) and it has 127,000 miles. Started it cold, no noises, no smoke, runs good. The guy just had the tailgate section all fixed up nice. New exhaust, tires and inner/outter fenders. Descent Maaco paint job. Nice grey interior. He wants 4k for it. My 75 is kinda too shot to fix up, so getting a newer one in better shape is really appealing to me, plus having an interior would be a bonus. The 75 gets crazy wind noise with the full roof, and it leaks..blah blah blah
    I'd only go wheeling in it maybe a few times a year, but I dont want stuff to break. Am I just being to nervous? Or are the 10bolts front and rear OK? I know these trannies are notorious for breaking, so I plan on installing an external cooler if I get it.

Thanks guys.

'75 Blazer blue/white
    350/350

87 Turbo Regal
    a few bolt-ons
    12.69@107.7

2. dutterback

dutterback Registered Member

All I can tell you is that I have an 87 and have had no drive train problems at all. The only problems ive had is electrical (see earlier post) and the notorious tailgate area. I dont do a lot of heavy four wheeling, but it certainly does fine in the snow and occational mud. My only concern would be the fact that it was used to plow snow which would probably take it's toll eventualy. If I bought it I would put a tranny cooler on it if it doesn't have one. By the way, how much for the plow?

3. moe.

moe. Registered Member

Thanks for the reply bud, thought this one was going to sink to the bottom like my others usually do :).
    Its 4k for the truck with the plow, and I doubt it was used much. The front end isnt saggy like I think it would be if the plow was on alot. Its for sale at this little gas station that sells a few cars here and there.
    What I gather is that he used it to plow his own business. The body looks better then most I've seen around here.
    Problems yes, but here in CT, every blazer I've seen has rust.

'75 Blazer blue/white
    350/350

87 Turbo Regal
    a few bolt-ons
    12.69@107.7

4. moe.

moe. Registered Member

TTT

'75 Blazer blue/white
    350/350

87 Turbo Regal
    a few bolt-ons
    12.69@107.7

5. Hobbes68

Hobbes68 Registered Member

I have a 90 and I've had very little problems with the driveline. The only thing I had to repair were the rear axle bearings (outer) and one axle, which are sort of common in K5's. I can't really vouch for the mileage because the truck had around 110,000 miles on it but the rear axle was swapped some time before I bought it (unbeknownst to me) from a 1988 (or maybe earlier) blazer. Otherwise, no problems.

6. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

My '90 hasn't had any problems with the drivetrain either. Make sure you put a cooler on the tranny and thats about it. The 10 bolts are fine for 33s, but I wouldn't put 35s on them if you plan to wheel it.

90K5

7. Hobbes68

Hobbes68 Registered Member

I agree -- somewhat... I have 35"s and 10 bolt rears and I've never had any problems, but then again, I don't go off roading as much as I'd like. Bigger is always better. As far as strength goes.

8. Toad

Toad 1/2 ton status

If the 75 is paid for keep it. Buy the 87 and sell the plow. Use the 75 for the trail and the 87 to look pretty around town.

Just my 2¢.

9. moe.

moe. Registered Member

Yep, the 75 is all mine.
    Good idea. I think I might go with that. Keep it and beat on it, or just keep it for extra parts if something breaks. I don't know why I'm so paranoid about stuff breaking, but hey.
    The '75 has good 33's on it on outlaw rims that I'll most likely just transfer over to the new one, and put the new 31's on the 75.
    Neither of them have a lift or any real wheelin mods, so there wouldnt be much to transfer over parts wise.

'75 Blazer blue/white
    350/350

87 Turbo Regal
    a few bolt-ons
    12.69@107.7

10. Mudfreak

Mudfreak 1/2 ton status

Hey Moe Go for the 87, I own an 88 and an 89 k5. The 88 I wheel the piss out of and the 89 is my looker blazer. I have had a 4" lift with 35's on the 88 for 4 years and done some pretty hard wheelin with it and Haven't had any major breakage. I'm very happy with my two blazers. Don't worry so much, sounds like a good deal.
    Keep slingin mud! later.