Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

750 cfm.....yes or no?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by CAROLINAK5, Aug 17, 2001.

1. CAROLINAK5

CAROLINAK5 1/2 ton status

i've got a 350 sb which i was told by a reliable souce had a r/v towing cam and had been bored 30 over. i'm currently running a 600cfm holley( put on by the previous owner). i'm now being told that i would benefit greatly from a 750 cfm carb. no, i cannot afford F/Injection right now; so i'm needing some second opinions before purchasing this new carb.
    thanks
    and no i was not informed of the engine standards when i purchased the blazer.....it's a long story.

2. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

You will bennifit most by using that holley as a wheel chuck for a run away steam roller [​IMG].
    Put the Quad back on that truck. Quads regulate themselves. If you engine can only pull 500cfm that's all that Quad will feed it. If you can pull 750CFM it will feed 750. It's not like a Holly with mechanical secondaries that you floor it it's open dumping gas even if the engine can't use it.

It's not my damn planet monkey boy!
    <a target="_blank" href=http://communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s>communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s</a>
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    79 Chevy Blazer, Her's
    70 Chevy Burb
    Grim-Reaper

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Thats almost what I did with my old 600 CFM Holley...I sold it to a co-worker i didn't like instead![​IMG]

I agree a Q-jet is gonna do the best...its on my list of things to do come swap time. for now I have the Carter Clone from Edelbrock, Vac. secondaries and 600 CFM and it is a 100% improvement on the Holley. It just tends to flood out at stupid angles. I like stupid angles so its really no fun...[​IMG]

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>

4. MudbogAD

MudbogAD 1/2 ton status

I would go with the original quadrajet. The q-jet will give you better mileage and more cfm.

Adam

5. white_knight

white_knight 1/2 ton status

6. CAROLINAK5

i do have the rochester q-jet( remaned) that i received with the blazer. should i buy a rebuild kit, exchange it for another remanufactured carb. or is there a step up in the q-jet line that i should consider?

7. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Rebuild kit is $14-17 depending on where you go. The reman's start at $150. It's fun to rebuild carbs when you save $130 bucks. [​IMG]

It's not my damn planet monkey boy!
    <a target="_blank" href=http://communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s>communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s</a>
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    79 Chevy Blazer, Her's
    70 Chevy Burb
    Grim-Reaper

8. CAROLINAK5

thanks for all the replies......i believe i'll try the rebuild first.
    shoot! if i mess up, i'll give it to the guys at Advanced!
    once again, this site has saved me money and aggrivation...i can't say enough how grateful i am to all on this web. i can't wait to see my name in <font color=orange>ORANGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!