Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

76 3/4 Ton Chevy

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by daleearnhardt01, Jan 15, 2007.

1. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

Buddy has a 76 3/4 ton with a 350, three on the tree, and a 205. Big Hub 44 and 14FF.

What transmission is the three speed on the column?

2. DieselRam

DieselRam Newbie

Hey guys he was posting this for me. I have figured out it is a saignaw but does anyone know anything about these? strengths? weaknesses? gearing. etc.?

3. eclipse

eclipse 1/2 ton status

3 on the tree on a 76 k20, never seen that. Got pics?

4. big dan

big dan 1/2 ton status Premium Member

x2. I saw it on a 73 once. asked the guy about it cause I figured it was something transplanted but he said it was factory and pretty rare.

5. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

they are the standard "standard" transmission for a number of years. every truck you see with a SM465 has had it optioned (well until the 80's at least). they are uncommon because most people wanted the creeper gear of the 4 speed. dont think they are the strongest, either.

6. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

With some good searching....

Tremec T160 (I think its this one)
    or this one SM330 - ( i told you it was something 330) ;)
    but could be:
    SM318 - I doubt it, used too early think 50's-60's
    SM326 - same above

T-89A

If you get me an RPO code, I might be able to tell you..

edit... i'm leaning toward the SM330 at this point.

7. DieselRam

DieselRam Newbie

what can you tell me about the 330?

8. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

Other than what you already know.

IDENTIFICATION - Cast Iron case and extension housing with 7-bolt side cover. Fully synchronized with 36 tooth synchro rings. This is the only G.M. 3 speed with the same bearing front and rear

2.47-3.50:1 First Gear Ratio.

It seems to be a pretty rare transmission option.

A SM465 would be miles ahead in terms of strength and with the low first gear, better off.

I've googled all of the above to death, and there isn't much out there unfortunately.

Hope it helps,
    John

9. DieselRam

DieselRam Newbie

Hey john do you know if a sm465 would bolt up or what mods would be needed to make it work in this truck?

10. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I'd like to see it too..

I'm curious to see if its really a NP205 behind that 3 speed...only seen a few 4x4 GM's with a three speed tranny,and none were colum shift!..they used a muncie or saginaw 3 speed and a Dana 20 T-case on the 67-72 trucks I saw with 3 speed trannys..had a goofy shifter for the tranny made right into the adapter between the T-case and tranny!..never got a close look at a 4x4 with a 3 speed from 73-up,though friends insist they did in fact exist..

I had a '75 Blazer 2wd that had a "three on the tree",and it was a Tremec tranny..had FIVE bolts holding it to the bellhousing!..I pried on it with a crowbar for quite some time before I realized it had an "extra" bolt,compared to all the other GM tranny's I yanked!..had one more dead center on top,where you could not see it easily!..:doah: :crazy:

11. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

No idea on if the 465 would bolt to your current bellhousing. It may bolt right up, however, without a picture its tough to tell. You have the pedals and a linkage to hook up the current clutch, so it just may go right in without trouble.

Easiest to do IMO would be to find a complete 465 with bellhousing and go that route if you are into swapping..

John

edit...
    You may also have to find the correct t-case adapter. And I have no idea what the spline output count would be. If its a 205, should be a 10 spline with a 465 of that year. The combinations are pretty high.

You could get a complete 465/205 and bolt it in.

12. DieselRam

DieselRam Newbie

anyone know anything about swapping out this three on the tree for a sm465 or a th400/350?

Thanks guys

13. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

I had an '86 K10 w/3sp on column for a couple months a few years ago. Robed it for parts and got the $$$$ for the steel.

I have the 3sp in my '86 C10 which is my DD, it's a pretty good trans. They don't really break, partially out of pure simplicity. My C10 has 200k on it, and no problems with the tranny. Gearing wise they kinda suck, especially for a 4x.