Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

76-78 door weatherstrip - on cab only or door and cab?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Skigirl, Dec 27, 2003.

1. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

My 76 came with weatherstripping on the cab, for the cab to door seal. My doors had no weatherstripping on them, but needed replacement. I got doors from a 78 that have weatherstripping around the top part of the door (basically around the window), but needs to be replaced.

Do 76-78's need weatherstripping around both the door and the cab opening or just the cab?

2. 79Jimmy

79Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I believe the weatherstripping on the door only came in '78 and '79 maybe '80 too. It just glues on the inner door just around the window. You can use it on any door it's up to you. LMC has it 20 bucks a side.

James

3. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Thank you.

4. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Yeah our 79 had that. It seems that it was attached to the body on the 79 but I could be wrong. Sold it 7 months ago. I have been tossing around the idea of putting it on my 88 burb to see if it will knock down some wind noise.

5. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Kinda looked to me like if there was weatherstrip on the cab side and on the door it might make the door not close properly. On the other hand, if both are supposed to be there, then I could be in for some serious lessening of wind noise! I only have it on the cab side now. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    Kinda looked to me like if there was weatherstrip on the cab side and on the door it might make the door not close properly. On the other hand, if both are supposed to be there, then I could be in for some serious lessening of wind noise! I only have it on the cab side now. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    The more I think about it the more I think it was on the cab. Ran fromthe bottom of the window frame where it meets the windsheild frame and ended abot 4 inches afer it levels out at the top. It was a peice of round tube strip. I think I'll try a peice of .5x.5 closed cell foam weather strip with adheasive back. See how it does.

7. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

The cab strip on mine surrounds the entire door space - there's a lip sticking out all around the door area on the cab and the strip is fitted over that. The 78 doors have a strip that goes from the base of the window on one side, over the top of the door to the base of the window on the other side of the door. It really sat deep in there, so maybe it wouldn't interfere with door closing.

I may just order those door strips from LMC and give it a try.