Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

76-91 full convertible conversion

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by hatchetharry, Jan 13, 2004.

1. hatchetharry

hatchetharry Newbie

first let me say as a "newbie", amazing site. now to the ?
    im planning on cutting off my half cab to make a full convertible and I could use any tips you might have. do i need to reinforce anything (windshield frame maybe)? i also want to scrap my stock doors for some steel tube doors. anyone see any future problems?

2. BAJA_BLAZER

BAJA_BLAZER 1/2 ton status Author

I changed my '90 to a Full Hardtop Convertible ('73 to '75) by cutting off the steel half cab in the middle of the A-pillar/windshield frame and at the bed rails just behind the doors. I used the "eyebrow" (top of the windshield frame) off of a donor '73 and welded it on at the A-pillar cut. I used a section of bed rail from the donor '73 to fill the hole in the bed rail where the top was cut off. I also had to modify the doors (cut off the upper window frames) using the rusted out '73 doors as a template and to scavenge some brackets that were needed to welded into the '90 doors to make them match. I now have a '90 Removable Full Hardtop Convertible with full power doors and tailgate. The top fits perfectly (as good as it did on the '73) and spends most of the summer in storage.

The real problem you will have in doing this is that without the Rocker Boxes under the doors of the '73 to '75's that was there to strengthen the body in the doorframe area, you will get too much body flex. The best solution is a full cage that ties in the A and B-Pillars at the top and bottom. But without a steel cab you should have a cage for safety anyway. It only took a friend and me 5 hours to complete the project. The cage is another story. I took full digital pictures of the project and one day will write a how to article. Good luck! You will love it when it's done. I get more looks and "thumbs up" when the top is down, than you could ever imagine.

3. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Like this? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Click here

[​IMG]

4. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

[​IMG]
    Here is my 87, converted.

5. one ton burb

one ton burb 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Like this? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Click here

[​IMG]

[/ QUOTE ] I love the the full convertible look I should do it to my burb/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

6. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

Ive though about doing it to a burb many times I think it would be COOL /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. chubbybob

chubbybob 1/2 ton status

I am doing the same thing to a crew cab. I thought about putting a blazer body on my frame but I want 4 doors on a shortened chassy.

8. hatchetharry

hatchetharry Newbie

thanks for the help, guys. a full cage will definitely be in the works, along with rocker guards. i don't have a donor 73 (if i did i'd probably restore it), so i'll have to fab up the pieces for the bedrail and windshield frame. shouldn't be too hard. i look forward to reading a how to article and any other tips in the future. when it's done i'll post pics (if i can figure out how to post pics!) thanks again,
    micah