Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

'76 C20 Chyanne body parts-FREE

Discussion in 'Pacific Region' started by Hummv, Jul 22, 2002.

1. Hummv

Hummv Registered Member

\'76 C20 Chyanne body parts-FREE

First, I'd like to thank the group that put up this site and those that contribute to it. It has been and will continue to be a valuable source of information for my current project.

Now for the good stuff.

I'm tearing down a '76 Chyanne long bed to be a donor for a Hummv conversion (Classic Roadster Badlands RT) and will need to dispose of the body (bumpers, grill, hood, fenders, cab, doors, bed, and tailgate). The truck was a Southern California farm vehicle (towed horses) for all its life. The glass is all intact, panels are strait but do have slight dings after 26 years, interior is shot, etc. It did rust through on the bottom back driver's side front fender but the rest is fine/surface. It also has dual tanks that are both fine. The bottom line is that it's FREE.

The down side is that you'll have to pick up the parts yourself as once I start unscrewing stuff the truck will be deadlined. I'm looking at having this thing cleared of my garage by August 5th as I need the space for the next stage. That means I'm going to be forced to torch the rest and haul it out. Shipping would be a nightmare hence the local post.

I'm located in Cupertino.

BTW, don't bother asking about the running gear, steering column, brakes, and ac/heater. I'm going to need those.

The springs will go in a few more months (Big Block coils, C20 remember, and 9 leaf 56" rear) as will the rim/tires (16.5 stock white w/hubcaps and BIAS ply tires) but probably aren't worth the effort.

Drop me an email to be on the safe side, or call me between 5:00PM and 10:00PM weekdays or 9:00AM to 10:00PM weekends at (408) 348-8235.

2. DuneRunner

DuneRunner 1/2 ton status

Re: \'76 C20 Chyanne body parts-FREE

I know you said the interior was shot. But did the seat belts work? If so what color are they? I work in Sunnyvale and could swing by on my way home one of these days....

See ya around.

3. MJF

MJF 1/2 ton status

I need a pass side front fender, tailgate, maybe doors, & a small piece off the grill(maybe the whole grill). What kinda shape is all this in?

I could use the front bumper & brackets if it's chrome & in good shape.

Let me know when you start taking it apart & I'll come pick up some stuff from you.

Mike

4. Hummv

Hummv Registered Member

The seatbelts are trashed. 26 years have dried and stiffened them. The retractor on the drivers side also binds.

Hit up ebay, I turned up 4 brand new lap and shoulder self-retracting sets for about 110.00 with shipping from somebody whose project didn't fan out. There should be a few out there from people upgrading their brand new trucks, same situation on seats tires, rims, etc, as long as you don't mind stock sizes/colors. Safety equipment is the one area you don't want to skimp on.

5. Hummv

Hummv Registered Member

The stuff you listed is there. The grill has the 454 badge, if your running a small block I guess this could be the incentive to upgrade.:) The front bumper is chrome and is strait, just covered in bugs from the trip up from San Diego. The one part you might be disappointed with is the tailgate. The previous owner took it off for some time and it has surface rust, it does work and is solid though. Give me a call so we can set something up.

Something tells me I'm going to be carving this thing up like one of those sides of beef in a butcher shop...

6. MJF

MJF 1/2 ton status

I PM'ed you

7. DuneRunner

DuneRunner 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the reply. and the reminders. Safety 1st. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

8. MJF

MJF 1/2 ton status

Well, I've got good news for you. I think I'm gonna go ahead & take the cab & doors. Plus I talked to my buddy & he said we can most likely dispose of the rest of the sheet metal that nobody wants.

I'll call you in a day or so.

9. Hummv

Hummv Registered Member

Mike, I'm gonna owe you on this one. What kinda beer do you drink and what kinda pizza do you eat? I still want to see that car grinder, I'll cover the gas!

10. MJF

MJF 1/2 ton status

I saw your post to shewheeler. If she doesn't take the tanks, I might take those also. Mine have the hoses disconnected & have been open to the elements for no telling how long.

Mike

11. shewheeler

shewheeler 1/2 ton status

I don't need the tanks. They're all yours if you want 'em/forums/images/icons/smile.gif

12. 1979Jimmy

1979Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Do you have any of that silver body trim around the wheel wells. I wanna do soemthing with my fenders like chaz, what can i say im just a poser. /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif

13. Hummv

Hummv Registered Member

Hi Evan,

I didn't even notice it had anything like that until you mentioned it and went out and checked. Yeah, it's got the silver/black trim, driver's side looks ok but the passenger side is a bit beatup. Stuff is going to be bulky as it looks like one long form fitted piece. I can go ahead and pull it, when do you want to stop by?

14. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

How good is the hood .....

15. Hummv

Hummv Registered Member

After Mike and I made a more detailed inspection we did find rust on the front drivers side leading edge, about 4 inches long and 2 inches wide. Other than that it's strait and solid with the typical fadded 26 year old paint.

Mike, can you chime in? I know how it is at times trying to get an objective opinon on something and how frustraiting it can be. Did you see anything else I missed here?

16. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

I want it please...pm me the info...mike

17. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

You got a pm.

I think i'm gonna pick up the hood for NoSmog73.

18. MJF

MJF 1/2 ton status

Dan, if they want to get this hood before you are ready to tear the truck apart, we can put my hood on your truck until we get ready to do the work. Mine is bent right where the springs attach, but it will bolt on & shut with no problems. I will be home this weekend working on the trucks so we can work something out.

Mike

19. MJF

MJF 1/2 ton status

Oh yeah. My input on his hood: It's straight except for the rusted out spot on the right front corner.

RyanB, if you want you can take a look at both hoods & take your pick of which one you want. With his, you'll need to patch the hole. Wirh mine, you'll need to buy the brace they make to support the hood. I guess bending is a common problem with these hoods.

Dan has my # but my cell is almost out of juice today. If you plan on doing anything tonight leave a message & I'll check it periodically.

20. Hummv

Hummv Registered Member

I'm beginning to realize, slowly, that I need to read the posts BEFORE the PM's.
    Ryan, give me a call tomarrow. If it's more convenient this weekend we'll get together with Mike and make this happen.

BTW, that 67 RS/SS, does it have a 396? My first love has always been muscle cars.