Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

76 Caddy Calipers Interesting Info...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by AZ_Overdrive, Mar 5, 2004.

1. AZ_Overdrive

AZ_Overdrive 1/2 ton status

I picked up a pair of 76 Caddy calipers a couple of weeks ago and I noticed something rather interesting when we removed them from the doner vehicle. The brake lines were SOLID all the way to the caliper. I helped the salvage yard guy take them off and I was quite surprised to see that there were no rubber hoses between the axle hard line and the caliper. The line did have a "U" bend in it just before the caliper.

So, these things came factory with hard lines and the 76 Caddy didn't look like there was any problems with metal fatigue or chaffing.

Just wanted to mention it...

/forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    76 Caddy didn't look like there was any problems with metal fatigue or chaffing.

[/ QUOTE ]

I remeber my buddy mentioning that , and we argued for an hour. I say go rubber/stainless in case , better safe than sorry /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

3. frankin5

frankin5 Super Mall Crawler Premium Member

they have a rubber hose at the front of the trailing arm. since the the trailing arm and the caliper are moving at the same potental there is no need for flex at that point. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

4. driney

driney 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Wouldn't it be a little easier to service the brakes with a rubber line at the caliper so you could swing the caliper out of the way without disconnecting any lines? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    they have a rubber hose at the front of the trailing arm. since the the trailing arm and the caliper are moving at the same potental there is no need for flex at that point. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

That is not true. The caliper is constantly moving as pads wear and as the brakes apply and release. Any time you have a disc brake caliper, it must be fed by a hose, PERIOD.

If indeed the factory screwed up that bad, I suggest you take over where their engineers left off.

6. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

The "U" bend is what allows the caliper to move. If metal fatigue was breaking the line before rust-out in the 70's that might have been an issue. Don't forget the rears provide less of the braking capicity so they will not wear as fast or move as much. Where did you get your enginering degree?