Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

76 Chevy duelly drive train . . . are differentials the same/compatible??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ratchetmaster, Mar 26, 2003.

1. ratchetmaster

ratchetmaster Registered Member

I am new to 4x4 trucks.
    I ran across a 76 duelly with all the drive train still in place (less motor).

What parts are valuable to 4x4 guys?? Any? They are 3/4 ton axles I beleive . . . any parts worth getting for my 78 long bed 1/2 ton 4x4??
    Other parts worth getting and selling/trading for stuff I can use??

All help appreciated.
    Thanks

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

step back a second, if its a dually its a 1 ton not 3/4 ton. There is no such thing as a 3/4ton dually. Or are you talking about something different? can't tell with the spelling. What are you looking at here? I mean is it 4x4? Does it have a manual tranny? The rear won't really be useable unless someone wants to build a dually(personally want to but only enough money for the K5 for now).

3. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

R05 dual rear wheel conversion existed in 67-72 years for K20 cab-chassis trucks(03 models) but maybe went away for 73-up years ? hmm... ive never had any GM specs sheets for anything after 72.

1 ton axles have too narrow spring perches in the rear are only 40" centers compared to 42.5" under everything else 73-up

good luck

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I am looking to get a single rear wheel 14 bolt 1 ton but I will have to move spring perches and I know that and am confident in donig it.

5. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    I am looking to get a single rear wheel 14 bolt 1 ton but I will have to move spring perches and I know that and am confident in donig it.

[/ QUOTE ]

only thing different from 3/4 ton to 1 ton is the brakes, you could just swap 13x 2.5" brake son the 3/4 ton axle and be done without need to weld and could call it 1 ton cuz it would be then /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

am i wrong ?

6. GMCLegacy

GMCLegacy 1/2 ton status

the spring perches on a 14 bolt 1 ton are different from a 3/4 ton 14 bolt. the 1 ton is a narrower spacing. this allowed GM to be able to run a dually rear axle under any 1 ton. if you see a dually running around town, take a look at how close the backing plates are to the springs even after they compensated for it.

7. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

whats different about the brakes? Would I relly want to switch to 3/4 ton brakes? I would expect the 1 tons to be better braking. Not planning on going disc so whats with this?

8. GMCLegacy

GMCLegacy 1/2 ton status

ok.....

there are several different drum brake setups that were offered. on a 3/4 ton you could get 11" or 13" drums, from what i have seen the same holds true for a single rear wheel 1 ton. a one ton dually could have both, although the 11" drums had a wider pad than a single rear wheel setup.

i think this has become more complicated than it needs to. if you are looking to put a 14 bolt in a single rear wheel application, you need to start with a single rear wheel axle. a dually rear axle is narrower, no matter what brakes you slap on it.

9. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

There are 3 different drum sizes available for the 14FF.

3/4 ton:
    a. 11" x 2.5"
    b. 13" x 2.5"

1 ton:
    Only 1 size...13" x 3.5"

10. GMCLegacy

GMCLegacy 1/2 ton status

i have 11 by 3" in my '76 1 ton dually 2wd...just to add to the confusion the post already has

11. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I think he is talking single rear wheel with the 13 by 3.5. Thats good for me bcause I am not going disc brakes.

12. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    step back a second, if its a dually its a 1 ton not 3/4 ton. There is no such thing as a 3/4ton dually. Or are you talking about something different? can't tell with the spelling. What are you looking at here? I mean is it 4x4? Does it have a manual tranny? The rear won't really be useable unless someone wants to build a dually(personally want to but only enough money for the K5 for now).

[/ QUOTE ]

Well want to add more confusion.
    Some people have put dual rear wheels on 3/4 ton trucks and called them dually.
    I responded to an add a couple of weeks ago for a '77 dually 4x4 for $500.
    I get there and it's a 3/4 ton long bed with a 350/350/203 D44 front, 14bff rear and dual wheels.
    Well it's a dually right?
    /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

13. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

true, just not factory dually, thats all, hehe

i hope to ifnd out sooner or later if the R05 option existed for 73-up 3/4 ton chassis cabs or not, and as far as dually pickups are concerned, none existed until sometime after 72, but 73-up i dont know when they becamse available, sometime in the 80s at least i know

good luck

14. ratchetmaster

OK . . .
    As I stated at the beginning, I am new to 4x4 trucks . . . and to full size trucks in general . . .

So I AM confused more than anyone as I don't know what the heck I am talking about . . .
    Thus the need for help. . . (My wife agrees. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif )

I believe the truck is a 73. But it is between 73 and 80. I don't know how long they used the same tail lights, but they are the same as my 78.

It has no front end on it, but the inside looks like my 78 more or less . . . it also has no doors on it.
    It was a 454 truck (at least it has BB exhaust hook ups on it with flow master mufflers all the way back)

It is an auto (I looked at the pan . . . definitely turbo 350 pan, and a transfer case . . . I don't know how to identify a 205, 203, etc. Any dead giveaway???

it has big fiberglass wheel well extensions on it. The axles look kinda like dana"s??

Sorry I don't know the diff between 3/4 and 1 ton . . . but it has 10 lug bolts if my memory serves me correctly.

So the axles are worthless???

is the frame the same as any long bed??
    IT has duel gas tanks on the side of the bed undernieth like my 78. I know older trucks have the tank behind the seat, right??

I can probably pic this thing up for a song and a dance, but since I don't sing or dance, I need to know if it is worth picking up.
    Can I sell the axles out if it for much if I can't use them??

All help apreciated.
    Thanks
    Tim

15. tomseviltwin

tomseviltwin 1/2 ton status

I'm betting this is a one ton. No the axles are not worthless. The rear axle (dana 70) is wider on the pickups with fiberglass fender extensions by about 6". The front is probably a Dana 60 with the wide wheel hubs. These hubs can be replaced for about $200 each from a place called Ventures in Ogden UT. Look here for axle guide. The best way to tell a Dana 60 front is if there are two ubolts on the drivers side and one ubolt and two studs on the passenger side. This axle is selling for about $1000 dollars. You probably won't find much interest in the Dana 70 rear though, but is a very strong axle.

16. ratchetmaster

Thank you for the reply.

I will check it out today. He has sold the rear to someone to use as a trailer but I think the front axle is still available.

17. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

the front would be the gem if its a 1 ton 4x4, if you look on lower webbing of the pumpkin and clean both off there should be a 60 cast onto it pretty good size, or 44 if is a 44 axle

18. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

YEAH

And WTF is with these wreckers having Dana 44s or 10 bolts in the front yet having 1 ton badges on them? I didn't even know they made dually 10 bolts but I have seen one. Now that I think about it I'm not entirely sure if it was truly one with the hubs like that or if it had spacers... but I know in both cases they had balljoints and not king pins.