Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

76 E-brake cable parts and options. Help me Mr. Wizard

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Desert Rat, Feb 28, 2005.

1. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

Does anybody know a good source for the metal e-brake cable component that LMC calls a "Inter Cable Guide"? I look in my LMC catalog and notice that it shows the parts in the diagram but only has 2 wheel drive listed for 75-78. I took a risk and ordered up the 4 wheel drive ones even though it listed them as 81-83. Silly me because they are clearly not the right ones. Should I just order up the ones that are listed as 2 wheel drive? Are they the same as the 4 wheel drive ones? Is there another co. that makes them? No luck on Chevy Duty.

Second brake questions. Has anybody converted their e-brake setup from the 73-83 cable style that uses the guides to the 84 and later that uses a couple of brackets? I'm assuming it can be done, but LMC doesn't list the brackets that go on the frame, just the other parts.

2. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

I can't see any reason why the rear axle on a 2WD would be different than a 4WD ... well, save that they're 5-lug instead of 6.

I assume you ordered LMC #34-3174 and -3172? And you're wanting something like their #34-3173, right?

How about from the horse's source, i.e. GM? Digging through the parts books is informative, if confusing. GM does have seperate listings for the 2WD Blazer/Jimmy, which could be a typo and could be where LMC gets their info from.

"Inter cable guide", btw, is actually "Inter. Cable Guide", meaning "Intermediate" (i.e. not front or rear.) It does not mean that it guides between two cables, fwiw.

The closest I can find from GM is #350208, "GUIDE, park brk inter cbl", which is from a 76-77 K Blazer.

There's also 350201, "GUIDE, intermediate cable front" which is for 2WD pickups and Blazer/Jimmy, 75-78. That's what LMC 34-3173 sounds like, and might not be what you want.

You might run down to Crown -- they're good folks, I find, especially if you have SOME info to start with -- and see if their computer has pictures of this stuff. Or, just order the 350208, which they should be able to do. They like it when you show up with part #'s :D

My illustrated guide (GM, ca. 1984) doesn't have anything on the parking brake systems that I can find, save the pedal.

Alternately, IIRC, the guides are just, I donno, 3/16" rod or something, with some bends ... seems like something that could be fabbed.

As for #2, I imagine that GM would be a source as well. I can take a stab at identifying part numbers if you like. Or there's a Pick-N-Pull in Newark, ya know, just up the street from the Harbor Freight, and I'll happily join you on a trip to both some weekend :D

-- A

Last edited: Feb 28, 2005
  3. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

I was just getting to this on my build. I ordered all the parts (from LMC and GM, using the GM parts book) for the newer style, except the frame bracket. Not found anywhere, I was going to get that from junkyard. Anyhow, that setup isn't going to work for me because my custom nerf bars/roll cage supports are in the way for outside the frame rail cable routing.
    So then I got the guides you mention for the 2wd version, but I havn't tried to put the whole system together yet, so not sure if they will work. Mabey in a couple weeks I'll know. I know, I'm not much help.

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

The later e-brake style requires a new steel body mount "perch" under the drivers seat, or welding on a piece...thats where the cable clips on the later setups. The last bracket in the rear on the drivers side is also different than earlier, since there are two cables there. Probably not listed at LMC because they are riveted on pieces. My GM parts manual more than likely lists the part #'s, but it's going to be awhile before I have access to it.

I wouldn't be surprised if both of those pieces are still available from GM, but they shouldn't be wear items, and thus common in the wrecking yards or for sale forums here if someone felt like pulling them.

5. Desert Rat

The parts I ordered from LMC were the 34-3172 and 34-3174. I can't find the other bag but the 34-3172 is in a Genuine GM bag with the part number of 368786. Looking at the LMC catalog, the parts they show in the diagram are the exact parts I need. But, they don't say which ones they are. If that diagram is for a two wheel drive then the parts are probably the same ones I need, which would be the 34-3173. I just hate to order them and find them to be the wrong ones again as well. Looks like I'd also need the 34-3180 too.

Interestingly enough, LMC lists one part only for the parking brake pedal assembly for 73-91. However, if you look at the picture they have on the diagram for 73-83 and then the 84-91 they look different. The newer version has two bolts that go through the body and the older version looks like it has one bolt on top and a nut type on the bottom that perhaps a bolt comes in from the other side. They also look to be spread apart more on the older style. Looking at the two brackets you have to have for the newer setup on the frame, I figured I could either fab up some or go and scavenge them from the junk yard. I would also have to find out if the newer stock cables that run back to the drum would work with my TSM calipers. The TSM calipers have the bracket built into the spring perch like this:

[​IMG]

So, the cables that run to the calipers would have to have the proper diameter to fit into that hole and have the proper length of cable sticking out to attach to the lever. There is a company down in SoCal that makes custom cables too that I can use. But I'm thinking the easiest is to use the existing setup with custom cables that run from the two rear tabs back to the calipers. That is if I can find the proper cable guides.... Dremu, a trip to the Pick n' Pull may be the answer.

6. Desert Rat

Actually, you'd be a big help if you could shoot a couple of pics of the 2wd ones you bought and post them or e-mail them to me. That way I'd know if I should order them.

7. 73k5blazer

I'm out-of-town right now, but the ones I ordered were 34-3173 from LMC.
    I still have some my old equalizer and I might have the oem guides somewhere too, just need to find them...
    I can take pics when I get back Friday

8. Desert Rat

Great, I would appreciate it. The LMC guides are pretty cheap but no sense ordering them again if they aren't the right ones.

9. Desert Rat

Anybody else have any suggestions on this one?

10. 73k5blazer

They actually came in GM part bags, like a lot of parts from LMC, they are the real GM part. I'll check it out again when I get back..

11. Desert Rat

Waiting with baited breath.... Also, if anybody has any pics, or could shoot a couple of pics, of their e-brake setup for an 84 or later and post it, that would be a help as well.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2005
  12. Desert Rat

Did you find the parts and take some pics?

13. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

I'm running those calipers on my 14BFF, and I got the stock cables to work (1977) by lengthening the adjuster with some allthread. It isn't a perfect setup, but the parking brake works and doesn't bind.

14. Desert Rat

Did you take off that angled bracket then that goes through the back plate of the drum setup I take it? I don't think I can make mine go that far back. What about the hole in the bottom of the spring perch? If you have some pics, that would be helpful.

15. 73k5blazer

Sorry, I forgot about it. I've been working on assembling my doors.
    The lmc part 34-3173 is GM part 350208, book lists for many models, including 76-77 K5, but mostly C models. I would guess the only difference in these things is the length. It fits into my frame, and looks to be right, but I won't know for sure for a while when I procure some cable and actually hook all the pieces together. I still need to get the right length rear cables for my rear disc brakes..

I left the image big so you can still read the text.

[​IMG]

16. Desert Rat

Well poop, it looks like the ones I already bought that are too short. The ones that are on my 74, that should be the same as the 76, are longer and thinner.

17. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

I used a air cut off tool and got rid of one half of the backing plate bracket and used the other, smaller piece to route the cable under the axle to the caliper. The stock cable fits fine through the bracket that is part of the caliper. I won't be able to take any pictures until the weekend at the earliest...working 12-14 hours a day this week...

18. Desert Rat

Thanks for making the effort, can't wait to see your setup.

19. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

These pics were taken with the parking brake set (the front is on jack stands).

Everything works great.

I had to lengthen the adjuster to make it work and adjust correctly.

smaller.JPG

smaller1.JPG

smaller2.JPG

smaller3.JPG

Last edited: Mar 13, 2005
  20. Desert Rat

Looks like the cable is pretty close to its maximum stretch in the pic. Do you have any problems when you wheel and the axle droops? How about the cable sheath sliding around? I had envisioned having the cable sheath end go up into the hole in the bracket and be secured there with the inner cable then only moving. I fiddled with my old cables and they aren't even close to making it. My calipers sit up higher. I think even with an extension I would be SOL. Now I'm leaning towards having that SoCal company make me up some custom length ones.