Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

76 jimmy lift queston

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ike, Sep 25, 2005.

1. ike

ike Registered Member

I'm looking to replace my tired 2'' or 4'' springs/lift on a 76 Jimmy .Looking at the kits on the net ,, I see most kits use blocks for the rear ?

Is that the way to go? Seems a total spring lift would be better..??. More stable....

The kits listed divide the years up with 19** to 1976...with 76 being the cut off year for application...the 77 on being differant....
    What was changed in 77 ? Wheelbase or spring mounting......Thanks for the info'''
    One more thing.....running 33''s do I need a 4'' or is a 2'' ok? I Need to keep the center of gravity down..I have trouble keeping the tires from facing the sky...and thats with a car...a few cars

2. randy88k5

randy88k5 1/2 ton status

Im not sure about the spring years, hopefully someone esle can chime in with that answer.

Most kits have an option for rear springs or blocks. Always go with rear springs. The blocks are a cheap way to go, dont ride well, and can cause safety issues in certain situations. Dont buy a kit with only the oprion for blocks. Shop somwhere else.

I run 33s right now with no lift. Well ran, no axles under the car right now :D . I did rub with moderate flex, but nothing too terrible. Just rubs the outside tread of the tires. If I was doing some harder stuff, I would want a lift. I just knew my limits then. If you do light to moderate wheeling, the 2" should work and keep your COG lower. If you are going to get into flexy situations and want to save the sheetmetal, then go 4" or start some fender trimming. Just remember, you will always wat bigger tires in the future.

Also, look at different spring brands. BDS seems to be the best, but hard to get a hold of, expensive, and limited sizes available. Tuff Country EZRide is very comparable, less $$, and has many sizes. Rough country and ProComp are just pretty cheap IMO. FabTech I wouldnt use either. Rancho looks alright, and Skyjacker looks pretty decent, but I did not want the whole kit, and thats mainly how they come.

Good luck in your choosing... and feel free to ask any other questions. We will try our best to steer you in the right direction

3. 74757685k5

74757685k5 1/2 ton status

no change in year. pretty sure.I got a all spring lift from a 74 and put it on my 82. it worked fine.

4. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I have a shackle flip in the rear , with the stock springs . Pretty good ride , and considering the type of flip kit I have ( echobit , out of business ) , and the condition of my stock springs , it doesn't sag at all .

Occasionaly there found in the for sale section here . And there are others who are vendors here making a simmilar product now . Look into the vendors section here on CK5 .

5. GM Man

GM Man 1/2 ton status

I'm happy with my ORD flip, DIY also has a flip that a lot of people like.

6. walla2k5

walla2k5 1/2 ton status

Springs will fit '73 to '87 GM.The only thing might be the u-bolts change with different axles...:D

7. ike

ike Registered Member

Springs ....v's Shackle flip kits

Hi ..thanks for all the great info...I saved the brand specific info for further research when shopping....What about this " shackle flip....I kinda got the idea but would need to look at one see what exacty that is??"
    What are the pro's and Con's of that set up....? Thanks

8. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

9. PsychoticDeadGuy

PsychoticDeadGuy 1/2 ton status

well, you said you had 2" springs on it right now? and they sag? i say get new 2" springs and the 2" shackle flip from ORD....or get new, stock springs and get the 4" shackle flip, that is what i have under mine and i like it alot...much better flex than the blocks i had under there. i dont reccomend blocks to anyone...it gave me really bad wheel hop and axle wrap...