Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

76 K/5 Blazer

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Z3PR, May 29, 2002.

1. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

What front axle did Chevrolet put under the 1976 K/5 Blazer ??? The local 4x4 shop said it's a Dana 44. And if it is a D44, how hard is it to replace the knuckels ??? I got one going out, so I figure I'll do both sides at once. Also intrested in converting to 8 lug set up becouse 14 bolt FF is going in soon. This blazer is full time 4x4 if that'll make a diff.

2. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Mine was stock with dana 44 front, 12 bolt rear.

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Yeap, It's got the 12 bolt rear. Planning on converting to a 14 Bolt FF as soon as possible (depends on when bills are paid off).

4. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Paul unless someone has swaped it and from the looks of you pics I dout it it would be a Dana 44 Ten Bolts started in 77. Also probably the best way for someone to tell real easy is to look at the differential from the front and at the bottom on each side there will be to points protruding outward on a Ten Bolt and the cover would have more of a dome shape.
    Or check out http://coloradok5.com/axleguide.shtml

5. abusedtrucks

abusedtrucks Registered Member

6. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

It's all original at the momment. So it must be a D44. I gess that's stronger then a 10 bolt. I can't aford a D60 right now, so a D44 will have to do. I've got a knuckel going bad on the right hand side. What all is involved in replaceing it ??? It's full time 4 wheel drive. I'll also be converting to a 8 lug set-up so I'm gonna do both sides while I've got it apart. Doing the 8 lug thing becouse I'm going 14 bolt FF out back. I also plan on regearing both axles to 4:88 gears. I'm starting with 35" tires, but I'm sure next summer I'll have 38's or 39's.

7. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Hey Paul I cnt remember what all is involved with the swap from 1/2 -3/4 ton but Im sure if you did a search you would come up with tons of info.

8. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

What do you mean by a knuckle going out? There is nothing about a knuckle than can go bad aside from it breaking or having a tie rod taper go bad from a failed or loose tie rod end. Do you possibly mean a ball joint going bad? As for your 8 lug conversion, you will need 3/4 ton back plates, and depending on what year rotors you use maybe the spindles also. You will find more second design parts than first design parts I am sure. If you use "77" and later second design rotors then you will need to change to second design spindles as well. The difference is the inner bearing diameter. You also can use anything from either a D44 or 10 bolt for your conversion. IE: ( Back plates, spindles, rotors )

9. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

A dana 44 is not stronger than a 10 bolt, at all.

Ken H.

10. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

My bad, it's the u-joint in the axle on the right hand side. U-joint/CV-joint.

11. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Umm yes they are!!! thicker tubes and better splines and stronger diff case.