Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

76 K30 5/4 military truck frame can be shortened to fit a 90 K5?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by tavis, Mar 15, 2004.

1. tavis

tavis Registered Member

Hi guys,

My first post.

Just bought my first K5 ... I have serveral bits and pieces from several 76-83 C/K trucks. I have a complete 76 5/4 military truck with a bad cab (damn salt up here in canada) I was thinking it might be nice to put the heavy running gear under my new K5. I was wondering if it was possible to chop some of the length off the truck frame to fit the K5. Has anyone here done this? Are the frames the same less the extra length for the box? I realize the rear suspension would have to be moved forward. Are there some specs somewhere on the net that list what these changes (dimensions measurments etc) would have to be?

One other quick question. Has anyone here experimented with treating/coating frames and suspension with Rhinoliner ( i know they are some new company name but can't think of it off the top of my head) My friend owns the company that builds the spraying equipment for them so i have access to the sprayer and liner really cheap. Just thought if i am planning on sandblasting and painting the frame anyway it might make it last much longer with the salty conditions up here. I was even thinking about coating the bottom of the truck and maybe even up 4-6in on the body with the stuff when i get it painted this summer.

Any input welcome!

T.

2. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

You'd be better off swapping running gear into the blazer, the frame curve isn't the same. Slopping with the frame rivits and gas tanks will be a pain.

I haven't heard of rhino lining a frame, POR15ing it yeah, but not rhino lining

3. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

First off, to my knowledge there are no 76 K30s, military or otherwise. 77 was the first K30, and I think the oldest CUCV is 82 or so?

As for using the frame with a K5 tub, be ready for massive fab since the frames are utterly different behind the front cab mounts. You may also have issues with the rear axle getting too far forward for the frame arches. I basically cut down a CUCV M1008 for my truggy that now has a wheel base of around 112". K5s are generally around 107 depending on mods. My front axle is about 4.5" forward so that would put my rear axle about where yours would be. So it's doable from that perspective, but you will have spring angle issues to deal with (no big deal really).

4. tavis

tavis Registered Member

In canada they made a "76" model year K30 for the canadian army. I believe it is a 77 that was preordered in early to mid 76. Everything on them is exactly the same as the 77 K30 military issue. (I can shoot you the vin over email if you want to decode it or anything.) Hydralic assist brake, 14FF etc. They called them a 5/4. I have no idea why.

Are there any frame strength issues with the 90 K5s. I am not a crazy rock climber or anything. Might there be a problem with the heavier running gears added weight? The frame on that old truck just seems soooo much thicker than what i have seen on the newer stuff. Was hoping it would be an easy swap. Sounds like a little to much work for me though.

T.

5. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

canada has a military??? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

j/k do you know what the spec are on that, just wonder if its the same as the US CUCVs.

6. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

Bag dog, i will confirm what he had said. I have owned a couple of the 76 5/4 tons and they did have dana 60s. Theyre drivetrain was stout, 350/th400/203.d60/14bff. I had them for a short time when i was young and stupid and sold them for next to nuthin /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif I was at an auction where there were over 200 of them for sale and they went dirt frickin cheap.

7. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    They called them a 5/4. I have no idea why.

[/ QUOTE ]
    They're rated at 1 1/4 tons(hence 5/4) but they're no different from a regular K30... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

8. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Cool, learn something new every day. Go Canada! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

On the frame strength. A K5 frame from any year should be plenty strong for the 1 tons. It's not the axles that hurt them, it's running them hard in the rocks or sometimes high torque motors (in pulls and drags) due to constant twisting eventually causing fatigue or rivet slop. Of course the steering box is another matter all together.

On old vs. new. The difference is 1 ton vs 1/2-3/4 frames. The 1 ton frame is taller and stronger than the lighter frames in all years. But it's hard to put under a K5 tub, primarily due to the vertical changes which start just before the back of the cab.

Good luck!