Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

76 K5 4spd in need of transfer case. Riverside Ca.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ToolTimepits1, Jan 22, 2006.

1. ToolTimepits1

ToolTimepits1 Newbie

Im a beginner, the truck runs strong but the 4x4 binds up. I just want to know if you guys rebuild transfer cases of swap them out?

Is there a plase to get a good deal on getting my case fixed?

2. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

define "binding up"..

If by "binding up",you mean the truck drives normally,until you lock the hubs and put it in 4wd,it could be other things besides the transfer case having a bellyache..

If the front and rear axles dont "match"(have the same gear ratio,)the truck will feel like its twisting and holding back,might even cause a hub to unlock violently,or do other damge,maybe refuse to move at all in 4wd--or make it do good doughnuts in sand,because either the front or rear wheels will be turning faster than the others!....cracking the transfer case is among the list of things this will break!!--also,all 4 tires should be the same size,or it can cause the same thing..

(sometimes "mismatched" gear ratios are compensated for by swapping bigger or smaller tires on one axle (front or rear)to help "even out" the difference,as a "crutch" to avoid having to find and install another "matching" gear ratio axle)....

Some binding or "kicking" is normal if your on dry tar or dirt,and you have "part time" 4wd (transfer case has no differential in it to allow "full time" 4X4,like a NP205 )..depending on the year of your truck,it could possibly have a NP203 Transfer case that was "full time" 4WD..(73-79 I think)..

I usually find it easier to just put in another used transfer case from a salvage yard..never had to rebuild one yet..but only because until recently I always had the NP205 iron case,that rarely if ever fails in "normal" use..and I plowed a lot with mine..my "newer" truck(82!) has a diesel and a NP 208 aluminum case ....and I'm waiting for a loud pop one of theese snowy days..:doah: :crazy:

3. ToolTimepits1

ToolTimepits1 Newbie

Good info,

I was told by my co worker after putting it on stands that the gears were miss mached, my neighbor said it was the trans Case.

So should I just make my first move to change the gears 4.56 and see if that works?

I know I need to make sure I know what trans case I got (hoping np205). I got the Chiltons manual today and havent opened it up yet.

Finally I am confused about the jerking(binding) being normal with a NP203 on asfault, did I read that right?

4. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

That only happens if you have an NP203 and are trying to drive in "Hi Loc" or "Lo Loc" on pavement and then only if you don't have manual hubs with the conversion kit.
    If you don't have the "Loc" ranges on the transfer case, then you don't have an NP203 and don't have to worry about it.

5. ToolTimepits1

ToolTimepits1 Newbie

The Chiltons manual only shows a 205 model Trans case for 4speed manual transmission.

what do I do first? pull out the transfer case and rebuild it, or do I put in matching gears in the differential?

Trying to budget, planning to go 38 with 8in springs, so I really dont want to spend unnessary funt at the moment.

Thanks for the advise.

6. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

If you have a 205, then it probably doesn't need to be rebuilt.
    Unless you have an obviously leaking seal or bad bearing, you can just run it as-is.

In fact, if you have a 205, that's probably the only reason it didn't explode due to the mis-matched axles!