Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

76 K5 Blazer

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sikZ28, Jan 29, 2006.

1. sikZ28

sikZ28 1/2 ton status

This is not an add...my Blazer is not for sale.

my Blazer is mainly stock as far as i can tell. i bought it for $300 back in January of last year..she is rough, a few budweiser dents, tires bald, springs sagging, frames messed up where a front bumper bolts on (looks like somebody hooked a chain to it and then jerked the hell out of it) frame cracked at the steering box, front end needs work, electrical needs to be gone through (wires hanging every where)diamond tuck interior needs ripped out (they even did the inside of the top) :confused:

any who... i had to sell it before i could do anything to it (layed off from work) to my cousin for $300 who pulled out the diamond tucked interior crap, pulled the top and tailgate off, and blew the engine.

he pulled it over to a friend of his where it sits topless today.
    he sold it back to me for $200 and now i have quite a bit to do to it before i get it home :D

my question is this...Do you think it will be worth messing with?

2. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

well, that depends on what your ultimate goal was/is for it and how many spare parts you need to clear out of the yard. If you don't have any small blocks laying around or tires or a welder you might want to consider pulling the usable pieces off of this one and finding a better platfrom to start from.

If you plan on using it in a manner that will make it look worse than it already does, weld up the crack in the frame, pull a junkyard motor, cut the fenders as far back as needed and slap on a set of 35's and be done with it...... while you've got the welder out go ahead and weld up the rear diff too

3. tin man

tin man 1/2 ton status

We can't count on these trucks to be sound investments. We invest thousands into our trucks and never get it back if the truck sells. That being said, 300 is pretty damn cheap. If you are looking for a build, you won't find one cheaper than that. If you look at that truck and say to yourself, what a piece of crap, then it's probably not worth it. On the other hand, if you see potential sitting there, then go for it. Nothing you have mentioned is unfixable. I bet there are a bunch of people on CK5 that have started out with worse.

4. sikZ28

sikZ28 1/2 ton status

thats kind of what i thought, i know that there is a load to do to this, but it is something i can do now that i got the job back. i have already found new springs for it and i have a 350 waiting to set down into it. i just got to get it pulled to my parents house from about 10 miles away whwere it now sits. i will do it next weekend ( i live 110 miles away) then after i get it running i will bring it home and start off with getting front end work done to it.

i am pretty sure just about everything up front will be wore out. how much do you reckon that will cost me?

5. AZ79K5Project

AZ79K5Project 1/2 ton status

If this is your daily driver, plan on some serious $$$$. To go off and have some fun on the weekends, not that much. The amount you want to spend depends on what your ideas and goals are. I agree, these beasts are great trucks, but they are money pits that you will NEVER recoup your investment.

I had a 76 Jimmy 4x4 15 years ago. That was a great truck and a lot of fun. I just bought a 79 K5 3 weeks ago. Supposedly the engine, transmission, xfer case, and axles were rebuilt. I bought it for $2500 and have put another $1500 to get it street legal and roadsafe. Its not trail ready yet but I am getting close. My plan is to mainly use this on the trail, but I want to have the option of a daily driver.

The interior was/is in very rough shape, but typical for the age.

To give you an idea of costs:
    Tires were dry rotted: new Dunlops 33x12.5 - $600
    Dual exhaust (w/2 cats) to replace the rusted broken system - $650
    Redo emission (all removed by someone) - $150
    New window gasket/hinge rebuild kits - $100

Work still needed:
    Rear window crank still needed - $100
    Charging system re-wire: $20-$50
    Radiator leak - $20 - $200 depending on the severity

My immediate goal: get the truck in a condition that a fire or stranding breakdown are unlikely. I'm almost there.

:eek1:My long term goal: Built offroad truck - Dana 60, 14bff, upgrade the 350, tube bumpers, custom built winch bumper and winch, full roll cage, custom built guage cluster and then, and then, and then...$$$$

Good luck

6. sikZ28

sikZ28 1/2 ton status

this might help a little for you. i seen a thread that was offering a window crank for like 10 bucks up in washington or oregon, 30 bucks or so with shipping. it was in the classifieds forum but i dont remember where at though.

7. chops76

chops76 Registered Member

hit up ebay...

8. chops76

chops76 Registered Member

hit up ebay...