Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

76 to 86 body swap

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bbriddle, Feb 20, 2002.

1. bbriddle

bbriddle Newbie

Can anybody help me. I want to put an 86 body on a 76 chasis and still keep the 76 front clip. Is this possible? if so, what is involved? i would appreciate any feed back especially from someone who has tried or done this. thanks.

2. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I am almost sure that the frames are different between those years. I had a 76 blazer myself, if you look directly behind the front seat you will notice that the floor immediately goes upwards in the 76 but in the 86 the floor doesn't go upwards for at least 18 inches or so. I think you could put the 76 body on the 86 frame but not the other way around.

3. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

either way the 3rd body mount will need to be fabbed. Rene(tRustyk5) did this on his but he is a fabricator by trade and he didn't enjoy the fab'ing of it,LOL as far as the front clip issue. the front should bolt right back on. In fact the 4th mount is different too. it's a headache eitherway you look at it,LOL

<hr></blockquote>
    What do you mean, Where did I get it??...I <font color=blue>BUILT</font color=blue> the damn thing!!

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I think Scott nailed it...a 76 body on an 86 frame is possible with body mount mod's, but the reverse won't work due to the footwell the 86 tub has and how it will interfere with the 76 frame.

I'd swap all the drivetrain and stuff from the 76 to the 86 and bolt up the front clip...

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/project_T2> tRusty pics...</a>