Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

76 Truck Bed Swap

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bryanrash, Feb 1, 2006.

1. bryanrash

bryanrash Registered Member

Dec 7, 2003
    I just got a 76 1/2 ton Chevy truck with a step side bed. I want to switch it out to a regular short bed. Anybody know what all I am going to have to do to accomplish this? Also, what year beds will work?
  2. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Feb 27, 2000
    I do b'lieve any 73-87 pickup bed of the same length interchanges. My '74 has an early 80's bed on it.

I think, not having actually done it yet, that you need to undo the wiring and the gas filler cap(s), and remove the four or six bolts holding the bed to the frame ... then go to the store and buy beer for your buddies to help lift the damn thing off :D (I think I'm gonna use my engine hoist when I do it!)

Since you're mixing and matching parts, you'll need to have the taillights and such for the new Fleetside bed, and prolly have to do something with the tank fill(s). Not having owned a Stepside nor closely examined them, I donno how like a normal bed they are.

-- A
  3. big dan

big dan 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Aug 1, 2005
    ive swapped beds on my truck but it was a little more involved because it was a long bed and we cut the frame down and put a short bed on it. the only thing we had to change was gas tanks because the long bed tanks are too long for a short wheel base. we unbolted the bed and slid it back and flipped it upside down off the truck. we laid the other bed upside down, backed the truck up to it and flipped it over. the bed came off of either a 75 or a 76, not sure, but i put it on an 84.