Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

76's which way does your distributor face?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Toad, May 19, 2000.

1. Toad

Toad 1/2 ton status

76\'s which way does your distributor face?

Just wondering which way your distributor faces. I was looking at a 79 and it's cap(?) that says AC Delco was parrallel to the front grill and the vacume advance almost facing forward. Mine sits with the cap facing the drivers side headlight and the vacume advance facing where the passenger would sit. I haven't checked for top dead center yet to see if my timming marks are right, but my timing is set on 8· like the manual says.

2. Bigd

Bigd 1/2 ton status

Re: 76\'s which way does your distributor face?

The distributer could be sitting in any position.As long as when the #1 cylinder is almost at TDC the rotor under the distributer cap is lined up with #1 plug wire.But on my the vac advance face towards the passenger becuase there no room for it in any other place.I would think any where between facing forward and right hand side is ok as long as the time checks out.

3. 72junker

72junker Registered Member

Does the truck run?

4. Toad

Toad 1/2 ton status

The motor runs fine but has a slight miss. That may be because it is 23 yrs old. I'm a perfectionist so even though the miss is barely noticable it drives me nuts. I have HEI on it so I think that when it is TDC the timming mark will be about 2 o';clock. I'll check it later today to see if it is right.

5. 72junker

72junker Registered Member

Obviously if it runs it's real close. When the ignintion in the junker went (it's been converted) I pulled the distributor and replaced cap, module, and rotor. When I put back it was sparking, but she wouldn't start. I thought I goofed on timing and messed with it for a week before I pulled a plug. They were gone. Replaced then and wires and now she starts after turning over twice and runs pretty good. Too bad she doesn't move...

Anyway, if timing's ok and it's been a while you might try plugs and wires, or test the vacuum advance. I'm a little fuzzy that one, but the "Chittlin's" manual has details.

By the way, my two cents is usually only worth about 1.5, so don't put too much stock in my advice

Troy