Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

77 2wd steering box for x-over

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by yeild2me, Jan 3, 2003.

1. yeild2me

yeild2me 1/2 ton status

Can I use this on my 89 Jimmy?? We have one at the shop, but I remember someone posting about the cut off of 80 and down and 81 and up. If it wont work, can I swap out the center part into my 4wd box and send it to WTO???

or do I need to get an 81 and up 2wd box.

Thanks rob

2. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

Yes you can swap out the output shaft and have it work with your existing box. The difference between the two boxes are the hydraulic fittings. The older box is flared and the newer box has 0'rings.

3. yeild2me

yeild2me 1/2 ton status

Thanks waxer...I knew it was something like that, and now that you mention it, I remeber when I replaced one of the hyd. lines it came with the new o-rings.

Rob

4. SAVAGE1

SAVAGE1 1/2 ton status

I had this same issue with mine, I had a 2wd box from a 78 and my truck is an 85. You can simply change your hydraulic lines to the ones used on a 77 or you can swap the sector shafts. I ended up sending both boxes to Matt, he rebuilt my original box with the 2wd sector shaft. Everything bolted up without a hitch.