Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

'77 3/4 Ton. What gear is in there?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by chvyhs, Feb 8, 2002.

1. chvyhs

chvyhs 1/2 ton status

\'77 3/4 Ton. What gear is in there?

I have a chance to get a FF rear but I don't think the guy will let me pull the rear cover off to check gear ratio. What gear do you think came in it? It's a 1977 3/4 ton pickup with a 454, T400, and a 14Bolt FF. Thanks.

<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/chvyhs>WebShot Pics</a>
    It's a wheelbase thing, you wouldn't understand.

2. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

Re: \'77 3/4 Ton. What gear is in there?

i think the two ratios for the 1 tons were 4.10s and 4.56s...unless someone changed it thats what it should have...

Later

Just tap it in...tappity tap tap...

3. speed_deed

speed_deed 1/2 ton status

Look at the guy in the eyes and say "Well if i could get in there and it was the right ratio, It'd be sold! I just want to see if its in good condition"

'85 k-5 gmc jimmy 4x4 sierra classic. '84 k-5 gmc jimmy sierra. '70 cuda 440 6 pack executive edition shaker hood, steering column shift.

4. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

He won't let you pull the cover off? How the heck are you supposed to know what kind of condition it's in?

the 14FF I got was from a '78 3/4 ton and it had 4.10's. I think that's the most common gear ratio in those.

<font color=green>Can't sleep...the clown will get me</font color=green>

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.bluefox.tv/~lara>My Wonderful Site</a>

5. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

they only put 4.56 in a few 1 tons...

the towingpackage had 4.10's the bonanza had 3.73's... the high sierra had 3.73's...
    it probably has 3.73's unless it's it's a trailering special...
    99 % on that
    -Aaron

6. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

my 78 3/4 ton came with 4.56
    If the rear is still in the truck and the front is there. .. check to see if the tag is still on the front rear....
    geez that front rear stuff would confuse those low riders....

1978 Chevy 3/4 - 14" leafs -dana 44w/4.56's -14 bolt corp w/4.56's on 40x17x16.5 Ground Hawgs on 16.5x12 steel rims-NP205&SMC465

7. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

hey rootbreaker... in your glovebox does it show the axle code? it should of been a special order at the time... could you check for me. I'm curious...
    Thanks!

8. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

I'd love to but when I bought the truck it was rusted to like nothing.. so I switched cabs... then I went to a stick and swapped again... ( taller hump around tranny )
    sorry...

1978 Chevy 3/4 - 14" leafs -dana 44w/4.56's -14 bolt corp w/4.56's on 40x17x16.5 Ground Hawgs on 16.5x12 steel rims-NP205&SMC465

9. chvyhs

chvyhs 1/2 ton status

What code gives the axle gear ratio? Where's it at?

<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/chvyhs>WebShot Pics</a>

10. mike reeh

mike reeh 1/2 ton status

my 77 3/4ton has 4.10s as do most of them. if he wont let you pull the cover (which he should) then you could count how many times the yoke turns to make the "wheel" turn one complete revolution.. helps to have two people because both "wheels" have to spin at the exact same speed...

mike

11. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

Bottom line.....If he won't let you pull the cover......DON"T BUY IT with that said, once you do pull the cover, just count the pinion gear teeth and the ring gear teeth and divide them to get the ratio. Easiest and most accurate way of doing it. If the guy won't let you pull the cover he's got to be hiding something. It be like buying a used car without even starting it or opening the hood.

<font color=red>COME ON RICHARD...GO PULL THAT COVER OFF AND TELL US WHAT IT'S GOT!!!</font color=red>[​IMG]

BE <font color=blue>AMERICAN</font color=blue> BUY <font color=blue>AMERICAN</font color=blue>!!!!

<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/geltyone>Webshots Pics.</a>

12. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Everybody hit the nail on the head here. If the guy won't let you pull the cover to inspect it, WALK AWAY!!! Something sounds very fishy if someone won't let you do a simple task like this.

If you still insist on buying the truck, put it in writing that if you buy it and pull the cover off AFTER you get it home, and find something wrong with what you were looking for, the seller MUST pay or correct the mistake. [​IMG]

See what he says after you tell him that. More likely than not, he will go ahead and let you pull the cover off. This is, only if he does not have anything to hide. [​IMG]

<font color=red>Only real men drive K30's!!!</font color=red> [​IMG]

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/thatK30guy>The K30 Collection</a>

13. speed_deed

speed_deed 1/2 ton status

I bought my 84 k5 with out opening the hood.

'85 k-5 gmc jimmy 4x4 sierra classic. '84 k-5 gmc jimmy sierra. '70 cuda 440 6 pack executive edition shaker hood, steering column shift.

14. chvyhs

chvyhs 1/2 ton status

He doesn't want to start parting it out, he wants it all gone at once. 3 of us are going in on the entire truck. My bill is $50 and I haul it on my trailer. I work with the guy that owns it and the only problem is in the engine. I'm 99% sure the rear is fine. It's a '77 3/4 ton with a 454 (blown head gasket?) for $500.