Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

77 4 core radiator in 83 k5

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by down4thakrown, Jul 27, 2004.

1. down4thakrown

down4thakrown 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

i got a 77 4 core and i wanted to know if it would fit in my 83 k5. I know the top part that holds it in place doesn't fit. but would the radiator fit??? If so does anyone have one?? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

the radiator in my 83 (2 core) fit in my friends 77 blazer perfect. the one in my 83 was the tall style also. so id say yep. for the 4 core you would need the 4 core brackets.

3. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

The shroud will be different. Be sure to use the shroud for the 4 core rad.

4. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

yu need to go retrieve your tape measure

measure radiators overall height of tanks at the seams, and also measure width form seam to seam centers, these measurements will tell you what will fit what, ignore anyone who says they are the same even two and three core ones, i have run across about anything you can run across as far as variety of heights and widths of radiators from 67-87, its more interesting that you would think, for sure,

there were several widths and heights depending on drivetrain ordered and HVAC system ordered and all kinds of other factors,

shrouds changed in 81 anyways regardless of any thing at all.

4 core is unique shroud and mounts, can be a PIA to convert without a 4 core parts rig especialyl 81-up

if you need a factory 73-80 four core rad top panel then lemme know i have some of them still, and i have 67-72 ones too, no 81-up though, when i put a 4 core in an 81up i just modify the bvrackets with tin snips and a hammer and a carpenters knife, works fine

if you want details then lemme know and ill explain

the last 82 305 th350 truck i put a four core into i used a 74 C20 454 th400 one and it worked perfectly.

'67-72 used smaller radiators, those trucks didnt use as big of radiators

alot of the 77-79 trucks with 350 and smaller engines used radiator that was waaaaaaaaay low, the bracket panel was mounted down on front side of the radiator support well below the top surface of the rad support, even with a 350 yes and even in 3/4 4x4's

i dont know why GM did this, maybe they ran out of larger radiators, 77-79 was mass production group years it seems, but they also used shorter 52" rear springs too under 3/4 tons those years alot,

good luck

5. down4thakrown

down4thakrown 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

well i ended up just taking the radiator out and trying to put it in and it looks like its goin to fit /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif
    thx for the help fellas

6. micah

micah 1/2 ton status

I have that very radiator in my 84... I changed out the top brackets and no problems getting it to fit /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

its big and it does the job /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif