Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

77 Blazer vs. 86 Blazer for a project?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by KevinsK5, Apr 19, 2006.

1. KevinsK5

KevinsK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I'll try to keep this short. I bought my '77 to be a cheap/reliable trail rig project, I'm in it for $500. It has a 350/465/205. I have no paper on it, and I'm in the process of a bond title. It turned out to be pretty rusty for my taste, pics of it are attached. Yesterday my Dad found a pair of '86 Blazers on a car lot for $700 for the pair and both have titles. One is a stock custom deluxe with a 305/465/208, the other is a silverado with a bad 700r4. Both are complete. The custom deluxe is what I'd be interested in, for the 4 speed, the hydro clutch, the rust free body, and the title. It is a used up truck though and I don't know if the 305 runs, I'll assume not. Should I stick with my '77, or buy the two '86's and sell my '77? I'm on a limited budget and I have 4 Blazers already. :rolleyes: Thanks, Kevin

drivers door.JPG

drivers quarter.JPG

drivers floor.JPG

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I'd sell the 77 and get the 86s. Hydro clutch, 32 spline 465(except for the lenght) and if it is really rust free, DEFINETALLY. Rust free is a BIG selling point. You could be doing work to get rid of rust for a long time on the 77.

3. NEK5

NEK5 3/4 ton status Premium Member

whats goin on bro i`m 17 too....id chuck the 77 and get the 86s...jmo....rust is not your friend and one without it is...except for my blazer has some...my seats goin through the floor and i have aluminum siding as rockers:D

4. Cornfield creations

Cornfield creations 1/2 ton status

I'd keep the 77, buy the 86's and have fun!!! Gotta love the 77's, only year of the mustard yellow paint in the trim! PLus its a 4 speed, i'd love it no matter how rusty!

5. zeroz400

zeroz400 1/2 ton status

I'd scrap the 77, sell the parts here. Someone will take your tranny. Only problem with 86 is emissions, some have all kinds of crazy crap on em. And for $700 you cant go wrong.

6. KevinsK5

KevinsK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Anyone else want to put in thier $.02?? Any opinion is appreciated.:cool: Kevin

7. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Pull the drivetrain combo from the 77 . Pull the good parts off the tub of the 77 . Ask anyone to take the rest away from the yard ( hopefully faster than the stuff leaves my yard ) .

The 465 and 205 combo is worth saving , either for sale , or with an input swap the 205 becomes doubler fodder .

8. 74poj

74poj Registered Member

my 2 cents. keep the 465/205 combo and swap it into the newer blazer. imo that combo just can't be beat, no chain in the t-case, granny low, basically bullet proof. i'm fighting rust issues on my 74 and it's not much fun, but the full convertible makes it worth while. now, if you decide to sell the 77 with the 465/205 i'll be the first to post up and say i'll take it! :D

9. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

The 86's will have the PITA electronic carbs on them. Take the drivetrain out of the 77 and get rid of it. Put the motor from the 77 in the 86 with the 4spd. Figure out what gear ratio's all the axles have. Put the axles with the lowest gears into the 86 with the 4spd. Take any drivetrain and parts worth while from the 86 with the bad tranny and get rid of it.

Then you only have 1 K5 project but you have parts to choose from and sell for $$$ if you don't need them.

Harley

10. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

That's only for CA trucks. Fed emission trucks didn't get CCC.

Dual capacity solenoid perhaps, but there's nothing more than a switch for that.

11. onetonbb74

onetonbb74 1/2 ton status

i had a rust bucket (from PA with a plow) and a nice bucket (from CA pre smog) at one time and i decided to keep the rust bucket as a wheeler and my nice truck as a project wheeler. Once my rust bucket was wheeled to the point of i cant drive it anymore (rolled, smashed, no floorboards, smog, etc.), i switched wheelers. It was perfect because i was new to wheeling and i skrewed the rust bucket up and im glad i have the experience now to not skrew up the nice truck. Id keep the 77 as a first wheeler and buy the other trucks as projects for when the 77 is on its last leg. Plus, i live in cali and my rust bucket passed smog (prev. owner), so i knew it would only be on the road for 2 years because i refuse to do smogs then i cut it up and scraped it.

12. fireplug

fireplug 1/2 ton status

My opinion too.

13. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

X2

Tom

14. wildmouse216

wildmouse216 1/2 ton status

$700 for the pair? Who cares buy them anyway. For that price they can sit in the yard for a couple years.