Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

77 CK5 4x4 with 120K miles - talk about weird noises

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BLAZING 77, Jan 17, 2006.

1. BLAZING 77

BLAZING 77 Newbie

Just recently paying attention to a noise that sound to the tune of a little lower frequency of the shaft rotation but not as low as a wheel brake drum or rotor rotating frequency at 45 to 55 mph. Has a sound of something that is tapping metal to metal. The noise is noticed only when the vehicle is in a coast or under lite accel pedal. This includes transmission coast in neutral. It doesn't matter what the transfer case selector position is. Do not have any vibration noticed during either coasting or under power. Think of getting on the rack with engine running to try and isolate it. But first wanted to try the new forum I just found.

BLAZING 77

2. gmtech954

gmtech954 Registered Member

is the noise from the front or back? also does it change while your turning?

3. BLAZING 77

BLAZING 77 Newbie

Appears to be from the front and doesn't change while turning. You hear it when you try to hold a constant speed say around the 30-40 mph range,but I am sure it's there at higher speeds just a different freq. It goes away if you let off the accel ped or try to accel. I haven't pulled the wheels yet to see if it may be a front disc brake pad or wrapped rotor or a draging brake shoe that is barely disengaged on the rear.