Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

'77 heads: Ok on unleaded?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Steve_87K5, Jan 15, 2001.

1. Steve_87K5

Steve_87K5 1/2 ton status

\'77 heads: Ok on unleaded?

Am taking some '77 heads in for a valve job. Are these OK as-is for unleaded fuel, or should I have hard seats installed?
    Thanks.

SteveB

2. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

Re: \'77 heads: Ok on unleaded?

Those '77 heads (and any head made after 1975) should have the induction hardened seats which means you WILL NOT need hardened seats installed. I kinda don't like when a head is machined for seats, as the seats can come out and ruin your engine if you overheat it. I haven't had any problem with the induction hardened seats. The later model heads are even better, as they have the super duty exhaust valves too. Good luck.

ken

3. nyyef

nyyef 1/2 ton status

yeah theyll be alright. just for info.......the reason you should have hardened seats with unleaded is because in the old days lead in the fuel was kind of a lubricant. it also softened the impact of the valve closing. that way it didnt matter as much to have the seat a harder metal.

Knife.
    knife.coloradok5.com
    <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by nyyef on 01/15/01 10:55 AM (server time).</FONT></P>

4. Steve_87K5

Steve_87K5 1/2 ton status

OK. Off they go to the machine shop. Was quoted $80 plus parts, and more if guides
    are needed. Thanks for the help!

SteveB