Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

77 Jimy On 44's

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by YELLOWZ71, Jan 19, 2007.

1. YELLOWZ71

YELLOWZ71 Registered Member

Wanting To Put My Jimmy Up On 44's Or Maybe 49's Any Tip From Someone Who Has Built Such A Rig?:d

2. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

what is it going to be used for? mall? mud? rocks? builds for those 3 can potentially be completely different, and the cost varies significantly

3. YELLOWZ71

Mud And Trail More Mud Than Anything

4. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

Most people on here like to run as small a lift as possible and still get away with big tires. Bigger lifts dont flex very well but you probably need a tall lift since your running mud.

Anyways, your obviously gonna need a lift. What brand is up to you. You can get away with 44's on 6" of lift if your not afraid to trim the fenders a lot. With 44's, your gonna need 1-ton axles. That would be a 14ff rearend and a D60 up front. With 49's, a 14ff will work, but you might be pushing the D60 a little too far. Aside from that, your gonna need to re-gear (at least to 5.13 which is as low as the 14ff can handle.....iirc there might be a 5.38 or something out now). Along with the lift (you obviously need a tall one since your running mud...and arent too concerned with flex and how top heavy it will be) your probably gonna need new drivehsafts with cv joints, extended brake lines, raised steering arm, new shocks, etc. Dont forget that your motor and tranny wont be happy turning 49's so look into a nice motor (or dump some money into yours...ie heads, a cam, intake, maybe fuel injection, manifold, headers). Also add a BIG cooler to your tranny to keep it alive.

Look around on the fourms here. This topic has been covered 1000000000 times, and you can more than likely find what your looking for by just looking at other posts.
    -Harrison

5. YELLOWZ71

Yeah I Have A Some 3/4 Ton Running Gear I Am Going To Use For Now. I Also Have A 454 That Will Be Going In It With A Four Speed Thats In The Blazer Now.i Was Think Of Going With A 6 Or 8 And A Lot Of Trimming.just Wondering If It Going To Be Too Top Heavy If I Need To Built The Truck Instead. But I Like The Blazer A Lot Better.

6. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

Well you can always take the top off of the blazer. 3/4 ton gear wont hold up to 44's and a big block. Heck, it wont even old up to 44's and a weak small block. The 14ff will, but the D44/10B wont. 6" and 44's with a lot of trimming is ideal, but if your only running mud then there is no need for the added flex the 6" has over the 8". I dont run mud at all, but it seems that you need to be a lot more concerned about top heaviness when running rocks. When running mud, it seems that you want it tall so as not to flood the cab too easily.
    -Harrison

7. muddybuddy

in mud with 49's, a 60 should be fine if its got upgraded shafts and flanges. mud is alot less stressful than rocks.

8. YELLOWZ71

yeah i am going to build it with what i got than wheel it till it breaks and get a D60 than wheel it till it breaks again then wheel it till it breaks agoin then get some rockwells 21/2 ton

9. YELLOWZ71

i have a auto and a stick whick would you go with?

10. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

Yeah, I want thinking how forgiving mud is compared to rocks. A built D60 may hold up to 49's and mud only.

It depends on what transmissions you have. What auto? You say 4-speed so im assuming its a 700r4 correct? If so, it wont be happy with either 44's or 49's. If the manual is an sm465, it should last a lot longer (not to mention the 6.55:1 first gear) opposed to the 700's 3.06:1. With tires that big you want all the gear you can get.
    -Harrison

11. lochenjons

lochenjons 1/2 ton status

Thats completely your preference. I like having the automatic (love manual in cars tho) especially going thru mud or climbing or anything you dont have to worry about the clutch or anything. But still I know a lot of people prefer standard for wheelin
    EDIT: BTW whatever you do post up a bunch of pics of the build up!

12. YELLOWZ71

i have the turbo 350 out of the 3/4 auto

13. koldsimer

koldsimer 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

If you have a 350 and a 465, I would definately suggest the 465. The 350 wont last long in stock or even mildly built form with that much tire. Are you in Terrell Tx?

14. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

And a th350 is a 3 speed.....not a 4.
    -Harrison

15. muddybuddy

auto is better in mud cuz u can keep wheel speed up w/o worrying about shifting, but ud need a built th400 or 4L80E to handle it w/o needing to rebuilt it frequently with 44s or 49s. then again if you keep it in 2nd or 3rd and keep ur wheel speed up with the 465 then that could work.

16. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

this process won't take you long to get to a 60. the first time out with 44's on a 10/D44 you will most likely break something. ask me how I know. then you can buy chromo shafts and HD U-joints. next time out break that stuff.

give up and realize that you should have just spent the money on a 60 from the start. In the mud a 60 will survive a long time.

17. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

sell it and buy a truck with a longer wheelase.

18. lochenjons

lochenjons 1/2 ton status

If your not gonna be doing a whole lot of rocks and a lot of mud itll be fine. Check out this guys truck http://chevymilitia.com/index_Page2804.htm
    and http://chevymilitia.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=85
    I think those are 44"s or 42"s. And like everyone else is saying youll go thru that d44 pretty fast but theres nothing wrong with wheelin that until it breaks :crazy:. lol if you wanna go with 49"s do somethign like this http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2322004
    I think hes on ck5 too but I'm not sure. If you want to eventually go with rocks do it right the first time and skip the d44 and d60 all togethor :p:

19. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

I had 42s on my 72. You could go a little bigger lift then I did and cut the fenders to fit 44s easily and probablly 49s. Definetly go 1 ton.

20. YELLOWZ71

Yeah I Am In Terrell Tx