Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

77 k5 lift Q

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Spkrman, Feb 12, 2005.

1. Spkrman

Spkrman Registered Member

I had picked up a 77 k5 with an 8" lift and 36's about a year ago, with plans to really spiff it up. The only issue is that it doesnt fit in the garage (just barely) and it would have to *stay* in there for security reasons, I plan on doing some fun A/V stuff in there [​IMG]

The Q here is... how would I drop it back down, and how far down could I drop it with the current tires on there? I'd say I need about 4" of drop for it to fit into the garage without much trouble.

Wouldn't mind some slightly smaller tires, I'm not going to be offroading with it... or at least nothing really hardcore. I'd trade the ones on there for some smaller ones and some help with dropping it [​IMG].. the 36's are practically new.

I don't know a ton about mechanical stuff, I'm more into car audio, but I don't mind getting the tools and knocking it out.

I was told it could be fairly simple... but I'm not sure, any links to a how to/tips would be great, I'm sure even a guide on how to put in a suspension lift would be good, pending not much was different.

btw more info here: http://www.spkrman.com/installs/k5blazer/

I'm not all that knowledgeble about it... but fiddling is my thing :D

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

4 inches sounds great regardless of what tires you want , you just trim a bit for larger tires if you actually wheel . I run 4 inches and 33's adn clear my garage fine , with some room to spare when I go 35's . Now you mean these tires , right ? I am sure someone would buy them or trade for them :k5: :k5:

BTW pretty truck :D

[​IMG]

3. Spkrman

Trade would be great :D

This would be more of a highway cruiser than anything, so I'd like to pickup some gas mileage, and less rotational mass for braking if at all possible.

I like the rims, which makes me want to keep things, but it doesnt look like 4 inches is possible with these tires.

4 inches and 33's sounds really good.. I *really* want to maintain the same sort of look, because thats what I love about the truck... just some more driveability and its gotta fit easily into the garage.

But my main Q here is how can I knock off 4 inches? I really don't know what would need to be changed/removed to get it done... and for whatever reason google doesnt have any sort of info - along with the search function on this and any of the other forums I've found.

4. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Buy a 4 inch kit , and sell the 8 inch kit would be the easiest to do . You will get a better ride as well . Someone WILL buy the bigger lift . Keep your longer brakelines , in case you do wheel it :D

5. Spkrman

Hrm, so the 8 inch lift is just a kit that can be removed somehow?

I'd happily sell/trade the lift + tires :) I can tolerate stock ride height/much smaller tires - can always add in the lift later.

but lol I'm still looking, and all I've been able to track down is a guide on a body lift kit - google is being mean. I hope to get goin on it as soon as it warms up/a nice day pops up, looking forward to a fun project :)

6. Spkrman

Would it be possible to just drop in stock springs/smaller tires? Looking to save as much $ here as possible, and KISS :)

7. rerun93

rerun93 Registered Member

more than likely u have 8 inch springs with lifted springs and blocks in rear. but u should be able to drop stock springs in there and get smaller tires to bring it back down to stock. are u sure u want to do taht though? i think u would be happier with bringing it down just 4 inches. taht way u can still keep the look

8. Spkrman

I could live with stock for now, I really dont have the $ to buy a 4" lift kit + new tires/rims... that is, unless someone wanted to trade :)

btw, no blocks :)

9. jkce457

jkce457 1/2 ton status

Either way you are going to have to spend money to lower it. If you put it back to stock you will have to get stock leaf spring, stock length shocks, stock length brake hoses, stock length drive shaft, undo what ever steering correction that was done(pitman arm or steering arm). So it would probably cost more to do that than to just find some 4" springs to put in it.

10. Spkrman

hrm, didnt think about the driveshaft and all that.

4" and 33's sounds nice... just gotta do it :)

11. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Air down, drive in. Drive out, air. PITA, but free.